Trouble shifting into low -- hydro

/ Trouble shifting into low -- hydro #1  

SeanInMN

Tractor
L3130 HST
Has anyone else w/Hydro (L3130) wrestled w/getting into Low? I depress clutch, wait a second, and can't get into Low. The manual mentions this problem and suggests--releasing clutch, holding hydro pedal down for a second, releasing hydro pedal, depressing clutch again, waiting a few seconds, and then shifting into Low. This procedure eventually works, but it sometimes takes numerous attempts before it goes easily..

Any thoughts?

/ Trouble shifting into low -- hydro #2  
I think that problem is something all hydro owners deal with in one way or another. I see it on the B2910 and on the TC24D. Sometimes while sitting still I can shift into HI or MID but not LOW, other times I can't get into any of them on the B2910. The TC is only a 2 range machine but has a similar issue. I find that it typically takes a quick rocking to resolve the issue, by that I mean I will shift into a range the tractor will go into and then move the tractor an inch (or less) that seems to allow the mechanism to allow me to change the range selector to the range I need.

/ Trouble shifting into low -- hydro #3  
Sean, did you know that you can change ranges without even using the clutch if the tractor is completely stopped and the hydro pedal is centered? If the lever doesn't slip in very easily, you can barely touch the hydro pedal and try again. And on my B2710, if I stopped completely with my foot on the brake before shifting to neutral, it would then slip right into the range I wanted, whether I used the clutch or not.

/ Trouble shifting into low -- hydro #4  
IN addition to what Bird said, I used to have trouble shifting between ranges. Until I started shifting while moving, sometimes without even using the clutch.

Now this is not an aggressive act! What I do is move, then lift my foot off the directional pedal and while the tractor is slowing to a stop, move the range lever from mid to low range, or whatever. It usually goes easy, without a sound. In the event it does not go easy, I push the clutch in after starting to move slightly, and while still moving but almost stopped. IT will go into the chosen range then.

I used to have difficulty going between ranges, enough that I tended not to shift between ranges unless I really needed to.

Now it is simple and I change ranges whenever I want and don't even think twice about it.

I'm not sure, but I think that becaue I started changing ranges more frequently, it actually became easier to do it, after things wore in a little.

As it stands now, I bet 90 percent of my range changes are done without using the clutch. Never a grind or any sound that would tell me to push the clutch in...

Works for me... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Trouble shifting into low -- hydro
Thanks for the suggestions guys--I'll go play around tomorrow and see if I can find a method that works for me..

Sean

/ Trouble shifting into low -- hydro #6  
I"ve had that problem with my L3010. I'll have to try Henro's way also.
For now, the way I got mine to work was to coast / move the tractor just a bit and it would slide right into low. I always use the clutch and brake while doing this. Most of the time I'm in M, but sometimes while bush hogging a hill it will bog down and I need to switch to low. If it does not go into low easily I just let it coast backwards a few inches and at the same time try to slide it into low. It's worked like a charm for me.

Moon of Ohio

/ Trouble shifting into low -- hydro #7  
I'll second Henro's "no clutch" Hi-Lo range change experiences on my B7610. I found that this also works changing between RWD and 4WD.

As Henro said - the trick is finding the *right time* to shift - just as the tractor is approaching a complete stop after lifting your foot off the HST pedal. When it works right - it slides into range / drive mode *effortlessly*. As Henro put it - this is not agrressive - just a flip of the wrist.

I generally switch between RWD and 4WD more frequently - and this becomes almost second nature once you've done it a few times. I find the Hi-(med)-Lo range selection is a bit trickier - perhaps simply because the lever is in a slightly less convenient location?

Cheers,

Dan

/ Trouble shifting into low -- hydro #8  
AS STATED PRIOR, i just tap the hydo pedal and i then usually slips right in gear. never have to try it more than twice and usually not at all. mine shifts 90% of the time with no fussing