3130/723/ bogs down slight incline

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline #1  

ramon49

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3130
low gear(hst) 2600rpm's /bucket/boxscraper/ when climbing slight incline and making a hard turn the tractor nearly stalls. When going straight /side of hill/ no problem. Seems only when climbing, is this normal for this tractor or should it move with authority. Had previous 2400 and it bogged down , but the 3130 bogs even more? Dealer changed fuel filter/ wants to dyno check HP? If this is the new Kubota, then what a disappointment!

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline #2  
I own a 3130 with 38 hrs. i was running it on the flat with a full load in the box and turned down hill and it missed a couple of times i'm waiting to see if it's an anomaly or i have a fuel problem. other than that it goes great up hill with a load in bucket or box

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline #3  
That sure doesn't sound right to me, Ramon.

One thing just to make sure about. You do know that the HST pedal is not like the accelerator on a car or truck, right? When the engine is working hard, you back off the pedal, not push it to the floor. When you back off, it is like dropping down to a lower gear; when you floor it, it's like going into high gear.

Assuming that's not the problem, I would definitely get dealer to check it out. The L3130 is heavy for a 30 hp tractor, but you should not bog it down just running up a slight grade like that.

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline #4  
I have a 3130 and am overall very happy with it, but I was surprised the way mine bogs down when brush hogging and it starts up a VERY slight incline. This is in mid range and I know it wouldn't do it if I was in low, but I like to move a little quicker than that when the weeds aren't that high. I normally already have my hand on the cruise lever to back it off when I anticipate an rpm drop off.
I also cross a small creek quite often and this involves an incline on either side. It seems I used to be able to do this in mid range at my normal engine speed for putting around to get from point A to B, but lately this requires low range, also or a higher rpm. If I didn't back off the pedal when the tractor started up the other side I know it would easily stall.

I'm just about due for the 50 hour and was going to mention this to the dealer.

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline #5  
I read your post carefully. Im not sure that my L3130 acts like that.

I seem to have plenty of power with LOW GEAR, FEL installed mowing on slight inclines...

What kind of work were you doing? Moving dirt? What about mowing?

How many hours on the engine?

dwight

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline
had fuel filter replaced by dealer, he said first he has heard of this? Again, the tractor bogs when running @ 2600rpm in low, loses RPM and almosts stalls. It will only do this if I put the pedal to the floor around 3 MPH at 2 MPH the thing seems to run OK!. Being an engineer I can't live another day without investigation and research(humor). Can someone do a test--- bucket and blade drive flat 3mph in low, then go up slight hill see if yours bogs down,then make a hard turn really up the hill...thanks...
Ramon /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline #7  
i have a 3130 but it's a gst. I have operated mine on many fairly sttep inclines with backhoe & loader with afull load of topsoil in the loader. No bogs at all! she screams right up any hill I have ever encountered. When I purchased my tractor, The dealer wanted me to buy the hst because he had it in stock. I refused & had to waite a few weeks to take delivery & the worst part is I had to pay more, just a few hundred, but gst should be $500 cheaper. He was offering me a screaming deal on the one he had in stock. I can climb steep grades with a full bucket at 6 - 7 mph! I know hst takes power away from the engine which is one of the reasons i didnt want it but i can imagine it's as bad as your describing. Try adding diesel fuel additive. It definitly makes a difference.

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline #8  
I don't have a bota, but had the same problems with my tractor until I changed the way I used the HST.

Try driving it with you ears. As the RPMs start to slow down , let up a little on the peddle and try to maintain the same RPMs. I find hills I had to go down into low range to go up , I can now come up them in high range. Not as fast , but I come up them.

Try driving it like your riding the clutch. Even though it is something that has been drilled into us not to due. It is the way you drive HST and does't hurt it a bit.

Dave in NH

/ 3130/723/ bogs down slight incline #9  
<font color="red"> </font>"It will only do this if I put the pedal to the floor around 3 MPH "

<font color="black"> </font> Herein lies your problem, Ramon. The hydrostatic transmission is, in effect, an infinitely variable transmission, and you are actually moving it into the highest possible gear, so it's no wonder the tractor bogs down. Next time, simply back off the pedal rather than pressing it to the floor.