New concrete

/ New concrete #1  

vetteman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 4310
I just had a new concrete flloor poured today. What should I seal it with or should I paint it ? Thanks Wayne

/ New concrete #2  
Floor for what? if you are going to paint it check with concret place, they should be abler to tell u proper procedure. my son used a 2 part epoxy paint on his new garage floor and it reall looks nice and stands up well. now this is in nevada so harsh conditions don't apply. he said i could do it to my floor,5 years old just needs to be cleaned real good and i think etched but i really don't know. BEST TO CHECK WITH EXPERTS

/ New concrete
Thanks for the input Frank. Its a new floor for my shop. The old one was so cracked and uneven just not much fun to work in. Now I need new walls ( its in the old part of the barn) The horses are in the other half. Some insulation and a good ceiling.... some new lights and a satelite tv !!!!!!!!!

/ New concrete #4  
I remember watching them do this on a Home Time episode. Cleaning and prepping in one step, then rolling it on in the second step. It looked really good and from what I understand, makes clean up a snap.

/ New concrete #5  
You may want to chck with a concrete expert, but I would wait 28 days to do any coating. Concrete cures to 90% of it's ultimate strength in 28 days. Earlier that that and you might get some moisture bleeding out of it that would make the paint bubble up.

I spilled some Kilz on my garage floor and can't remove it with lacquer thinner or anything else so it might make a good sealer if you want a white floor.

Bill Tolle

/ New concrete #6  
I'm no expert, but have been told that it takes 4 weeks for your concrete to do 85% of it's curing. The other 15% take place over the next 50 years. So, the 1st 4 weeks are critical to take good care of it.

This may be a little extreme, but I kept the concrete slab that I poured for my shop wet for 4 weeks after pouring. It never dried out in that time. I used a sprinkler on a timer. I poured it on a 90 degree day, so there was a lot of opportunity for heat stress. That was 27 years ago and I have yet to see a crack on that slab. Other concrete work that was done at my place by "experts", who talked me out of doing this, had cracks within 2 years.

So... for what it's worth, from a weekend warrior and 1 time house builder....

Greg

/ New concrete #7  
Epoxy paint sealed garage floors are extremely slippery when wet with oil or antifreze. So, most reputable epoxy floor sealer mixes now include chips to spread on the wet paint floor to give some grip to the floor. I didn't want the rough surface this provided, it's harder to sweep up.

I selected Sealkrete Garage Foor Sealer for my new shop floor. It goes on milky white but dries clear. You need to acid wash and neutralize the concrete floor first (need to do this with epoxy too). I found it does need at least two coats to seal properly. I put down three to use up all the material. Their suggested coverage rate on the can was close for the first coat, the subsequent coats covered a little more area per gallon.

The floor needs to be warm to apply, I don't remember the temperature. But, it wouldn't be possible now where I'm at here in California.

Any marks on the floor before the application still show through and it still looks like a plain old concrete garage floor. [The container says you can tint the material if you want a painted look.] But, the oil leaks from my old cars wipe up easily without leaving a stain and it sweeps up easier than a plain concrete floor.

/ New concrete
Thanks for all ur input !!!!!!!!! Ill wait till spring to seal it . I have to put shelving , cabinets and pegboard yet. B spring it will be nicely cured and ready . Thanks again all ... Wayne

/ New concrete #9  
My dad had his garage sealed with sealer but when the guys finished the concrete, they used a trowel machine and it was very smooth which makes it great for using creepers or rolling seats. However the downside is that it is very slippery when wet and you might as well forget about trying to pull a car up on car ramps as it just sets and spins.

/ New concrete #10  
If it was me, I would seal the new concrete floor with a product called REZ. REZ is an acrylic sealer that is applied with a manual pump sprayer and then back rolled with a short nap roller. At least that is the way I applied the sealer to my new garage floor. I too, live in western new york. This stuff works great. My kids friend told his Mom one day that "you should see his Dads garage floor, you could eat off it." What is nice, is after you wash or spray the floor down, after it has had sealer applied, you can squeege the water to the drain and the floor is dry shortly thereafter. You can get REZ sealer at a concrete supply house, I don't think Home depot carries it. I got it from the ready mix company that supplied our concrete. You won't regret it. It also comes in different colors.