Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #1  

botalvr

Silver Member
I don't know much about hydraulics, but would a BX2200 be a suitable host for a three point hitch driven splitter?
A guy down the street from me has one for sale, and since I don't want to pop $1000+ for one down at TSC, I wondered of anyone has any knowledge of doing this with a BX.
Thanks

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #2  
'Depends on the actual hydro flow requirements of the device, but in general, yes. But also remember you'll need to provide the plumbing back to the splitter and there are costs involved. You can also buy a brand new 3pt splitter from TSC and other places for about $500...so a grand is a bit, um high...unless there is some feature or atribute that the unit you have located has that you need.

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #3  
I also spoke to a dealer about this before I bought my BX2200. He said there would be a fair amount of plumbing that would be required and his recommendation was a stand alone splitter would be better.
Whether or not he just didn't want to get involved with the project I don't know. Luckily for me I was able to find another source for my firewood that is already cut & split at a reasonable price and I only have to haul it in my truck.

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #4  
I just happened to remember a discussion about this not to long ago. Try checking out this web page.

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/tw3/tw3.htm

It claims that any tractor of 16 HP or more and has a catagory 1 PTO hook up can run this splitter. It has a PTO driven hydraulic pump to run the splitter. It looks impressive on the web page.

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #5  
Just curious here Jim and hogboy; I thought most of these things were powered by the PTO which drives an independent closed hydraulic system on the splitter. Is this incorrect? Otherwise, I don't understand why extra hydraulic plumbing would need to be run to the back. Maybe I'm missing something. If so, please fill me in.

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought most of these things were powered by the PTO which drives an independent closed hydraulic system on the splitter. Is this incorrect? )</font>

Some of them are, some aren't, and those that aren't run off the tractor hydraulics. Timberwolf's are - the 3PH model from Northern Tool isn't - partly why it is a quarter of the cost of the Timberwolf ($2K). I'm building one myself although I haven't totally decided whether it will be a 3PH or whether I'll put wheels and hitch coupler on it (maybe both /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

I did finally pick up a 8 foot piece of W8 x 24 I-Beam for it the other day. Hopefully I'll get it done before this heating season is over /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It claims that any tractor of 16 HP or more and has a catagory 1 PTO hook up can run this splitter. It has a PTO driven hydraulic pump to run the splitter. )</font>

I'm a little curious about that claim and the specs as well - the PTO pump is listed as 20 GPM and using the specs (cylinder size and tonnage) to derive a working pressure for the system, I come up with 2750 psi as the working pressure. To get 20 GPM @ 2750 psi it requires over 37 horsepower to drive the pump. Can anyone out there shed any light on how this can work ? Two-stage PTO pump ? (is there even such a thing ?)

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #8  
Tom,
3PH splitters typically use the hydraulics of the tractor to power the ram. So you need the connections at the rear of the tractor. For the BX2200 there is also the concern that the low GPM would make the duty cycle time very slow. My dealer said not to bother. Others on TBN have said the same thing.
You can get PTO driven woodsplitters but they tend to be more expensive. Hereis a link to Iron and Oak's Tractor Mounted Splitters page. They sell both types. The PTO one is roughly $500 more.

Phil

/ Hydraulic Log Splitter on a BX2200 #9  
Randall has this one pegged. The independent closed ones are quite expensive and you can generally buy a bigger stand alone gas splitter cheaper.