BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation?

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation? #1  

LuisLeon

In the implement limitations section of the manual it states that the max weight for a rotary cutter is 300 lbs. and max cutting width is 42 inches. I don't want to abuse a machine I've invested so much in, how close to these specifications must I be?

I've been looking at the Land Pride rcr1542 (432 lbs 42 inch). the Woods standard-duty (456 lbs. 48 inch) and the Woods estate series rcc42 (350 lbs. 42 inch). All of these exceed the weight limitation the closest being the Woods rcc42 (350 lbs.) I don't intend on doing any heavy duty cutting. The field I'm attempting to reclaim is mostly milkweed and crabgrass, there aren't many saplings, it use to be a cow pasture. It is a gently sloping 4 acres, of which I only intend to maintain two.

A friend bought over his older 5 ft Bushhog, which I was thinking of buying, but it was much too big for the BX23. Comments or opinions from Sub-compact tractors owners who are running cutters are most welcome.

Regards,

Luis Leon

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation? #2  
Luis, to repeat myself (many times), in my opinion Kubota is very conservative on their implement recommendations. My B7100 specified a 42" rotary cutter; I used a 48" one, and my B2710 recommended a 48" one and I used a 60" one, and would not have been happy with anything smaller on either tractor. Personally, I think Kubota realizes that if their manual says 48" and you get a heavy duty one and try to mow full width in heavy brush, and it doesn't do a good job, you'll be mad at them for claiming the machine can do more than it can. If you use a wider cutter and the going is too slow, you can overlap more; i.e., only cover half the width of the mower at a time.

Now that's purely my personal opinion and what I've done. As for what I recommend for you or others, I'm sure not going to recommend that you do anything differently from what the manual says. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation? #3  
I have a 42" GearMore rough cutter on my BX2200. In a swampy area where some reedy grass gets 1" thick and 9' tall, the RC doesn't even slow down. It's like a vegematic blender. I would not hesitate to put something bigger on for the conditions you describe. I like the 42" because it's same width as BX which makes it easy to navigete around and in between trees.

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation?
Bird and Tom,

Thank you for your replies, I will be looking at the 42 and 48 inch cutters side by side. I am leaning towards the 48 inch cutter, but have to see one to make a final decision.

regards,

Luis Leon

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation? #5  
LL --

Just to give you a report on my experience, I regularly use a Land Pride RC1548 on my BX23. After the backhoe, tilling, and blading projects were finished last spring, I put it on the tractor and kept it on all summer and fall, and used it for many hours.

No problems to report, and the tractor handled it well.

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation? #6  
LOL

I took delivery of a BX23 two days ago. They gave me two choices for MMM: 54" and 60". I took the 60.

RS

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( LOL

I took delivery of a BX23 two days ago. They gave me two choices for MMM: 54" and 60". I took the 60.

RS )</font>

RS: Welcome to TBN. Just so there's no confusion, this thread isn't about Mid-Mount Mowers. A rotary cutter, also known as a rough cutter, brush hog, or sometimes by the one of the brand names, Bush Hog, is an implement which mounts on the three point hitch and is powered by the rear PTO. It has large heavy blades which are pivot mounted to a rotating pan. It is used, not on lawn, but to cut rough weeds and brush. Some are capable of obliterating stands of small sapplings.

Browse around some; this is a great place to learn.

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation? #9  
I have a 48" KK rotary cutter (425 lb) that I use on my B7510HST. My parcel is a flat 10 acres of weeds, no heavy brush, no saplings.

The 7510 handles this brush hog without a problem and I get the job done in a reasonable amount of time, roughly 45 minutes per acre at my pace. I probably could cut faster, but I tend to baby my machines. It helps that I'm retired and am not in a big hurry to finish chores like this one.

And, unlike some posters in the Kubota forums, the seat on my vehicle feels pretty comfortable so I don't mind building up seat time.

/ BX23 rotary cutter weight limitation? #10  
Re: BX23

In the implement limitations section of the manual it states that the max weight for a rotary cutter is 300 lbs. and max cutting width is 42 inches. I don't want to abuse a machine I've invested so much in, how close to these specifications must I be?

I've been looking at the Land Pride rcr1542 (432 lbs 42 inch). the Woods standard-duty (456 lbs. 48 inch) and the Woods estate series rcc42 (350 lbs. 42 inch). All of these exceed the weight limitation the closest being the Woods rcc42 (350 lbs.) I don't intend on doing any heavy duty cutting. The field I'm attempting to reclaim is mostly milkweed and crabgrass, there aren't many saplings, it use to be a cow pasture. It is a gently sloping 4 acres, of which I only intend to maintain two.

A friend bought over his older 5 ft Bushhog, which I was thinking of buying, but it was much too big for the BX23. Comments or opinions from Sub-compact tractors owners who are running cutters are most welcome.

Regards,

Luis Leon
I just bought a BX23S and the manual says 400lb limit on the 3pt hitch and it says 48" cutter. I'am looking at a 48" woods or land pride. I was leaning toward a flail mower I'am still not sure Rotary or Flail? Any thoughts