Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft

/ Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft #1  

powershop

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
I need help! Has anyone removed there driveshaft from a BX?
I ran a stick up under the tractor and it went and tore the rubber boot around the CV joint on the rear of the shaft. Just missed the cooling fan for the hydro unit. I have the front and rear CV joints unbolted but it wouldn't come out as the crossmember is welded in. Looks to me that the floorboards must be removed and take it out the top! Please HELP!

/ Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft #2  
I just looked at the manual, and I couldn't find a section on just removing the driveshaft alone. It is in the section on removing the transaxle, and a prior step is removing the fenders.

/ Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft
Thanks, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Looks like a lot of work to replace at two dollar part!

Just a note for those who drive over sticks and logs. The only way you can replace the rubber boots on a BX driveshaft is to remove the floorboard and take it out the top!! Several hours work to replace a two dollar part. While I had it apart it is very easy to change the first fuel filter and clean and grease the hydo pedal shaft. Also cleaned and greased both CV joints. Will watch how I drive in the woods from now on.

Attachments

• 563729-MVC-200F.JPG
    563729-MVC-200F.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 902
   / Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft #5  
<font color="blue">Will watch how I drive in the woods from now on.
</font>

Powershop,

Thanks for posting the picture of the BX with the floor boards off.

Have you considered some kind belly protector for protection from sticks? I've toyed with the idea of making something that would mount to the MMM points when the MMM was off...easy on and easy off kind of deal...but have not done anything myself yet... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft #6  
Thanks for the picture. Somehow, I managed to loose on blade of the plastic impeller / fan that cools the hydro. I still haven't replaced it. Don't figure that it will overheat in the winter months. In fact, I am not certain that one missing blade will make much of a difference. I assume that replacing the boot and replacing the fan are just about the same amount of work??

Junkman: I'm not going to say for sure but maybe you can get the driveshaft to the side enough to replace the fan. That was not my goal so I can't say for sure but I think it can be done from the underside. The fan is very inexpensive because I ordered both boots and the fan just so I would have the parts when I tore it apart. My CV joints where very dry and I gave them a good cleaning and new grease, if you do this also order new o rings for under the balls in the joints as mine were all dry and broken. But you need to remove the floorboard to do that. Good Luck

/ Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft #8  
I've taken out my fan three times while bush hogging. I know the sound of the blade shearing off well. When you've done this a few times you can perform this surgery in 10 minutes.
Unbolt the driveshaft and reposition as far forward and sideways as it will go. Loosen the pinch bolt on the fan/driveshaft flange and slide it off. Unbolt and replace the fan blade. You will have to flex the fan blade a little bit to slide it back on the splined shaft.
Buy two fans while you are there and you will probably never need another one. I haven't broken one since I had a spare on hand.
Rich

Attachments

• 565333-IMG_1079 (Small).JPG
    565333-IMG_1079 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 381
   / Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft #9  
Here is the rear of the shaft moved to the side with the fan already removed from the splined transmission input shaft.

Attachments

• 565340-IMG_1080 (Small).JPG
    565340-IMG_1080 (Small).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 518
   / Need Help Removeing Bx Driveshaft #10  
Here is a shot of the front of the driveshaft unbolted and moved to the side. These pictures represent the position to have the driveshaft in when you remove the fan/flange assembly.

Attachments

• 565347-IMG_1081 (Small).JPG
    565347-IMG_1081 (Small).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 609