Oil & Fuel Leaking fuel, power steering problems

/ Leaking fuel, power steering problems #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
My dealer kept my 2710 a week about 3 weeks or so ago to try to solve the intermittent power steering problem before the warranty runs out. They replaced the whole power steering assembly as instructed by Kubota.

Since I got the tractor back, both times I have completely filled the tank with diesel, it has leaked a large puddle under the tractor until it gets down to a certain level. Apparently they did something to the fuel tank when they did the work.

To make matters worse, my power steering problem is back, worse than ever. After the tractor heats up, when I put it in high range to go to another part of the property it feels like something is grabbing the steering wheel.

I'm fed up with this problem and Kubota's lies about it not being a problem with this model. The tractor is now out of warranty, except for the power steering assembly they replaced. Of course that was not the problem, and I didn't think it was. The power steering system is simply not getting enough hydraulic fluid when it gets hot.

I'm not sure it can be fixed and my tractor was supposed to last 20 years.

Alan L., TX

/ Leaking fuel, power steering problems #2  
I think you're in a good position to ask them to still fix the problem under warranty since it existed before hand and has not been resolved. Work with them and give them a "way out"/way to save face and I think you'll get further.

You might ask them to retrofit the tractor with the newer hydraulic pipes, filter, etc to make it like the B2910 and newer 2710 models. It's somewhat a shot in the dark, but probably your next best step.

Good luck,

Peter

/ Leaking fuel, power steering problems
I called the service manager at the dealer and told him the problem. He told me he can't fix the tractor unless he can see it. Offered to come pick it up. I told him before the go experimenting with it another week I wish he would get with Kubota and work out the solution. He gave me the Kubota central region service manager's number. When I called it, his voice mail asked for a dealer code which I didn't have. He has not called me back.

I can assure you that I will be Kubota's worst nightmare if they don't take care of this problem. The tractor is such a great product I can't believe they don't know what the product is.

My dealer says Kubota is not doing any retrofits as described by some of you. It also seems like the 2910 is having the same problem in some units, even with the two filters.

I'm tired of dealing with the problem. I don't want to do without my tractor, but I don't want to let the problem go either, or it never will be fixed.

Alan L., TX

I spoke with the dealer service manager and he said they must have left a hose off the top of the fuel tank or something, thus causing the leakage. He referred me to the Kubota central region service manager about the steering. I called him yesterday and he returned my call today.

The Kubota service manager assured me that the warranty expiration is not an issue and that Kubota will fix the problem. Since they have already replaced the power steering assembly, he said they would replace the flow-control valve. He is sending one to the dealer and a Kubota rep will be present when they duplicate the problem and replace the valve.

I mentioned to him that others on this board have had the same problem and that at least one of you had an additional line and filter retrofit. The Kubota rep basically said there is absolutely no retrofit for this problem, and that there are no power steering issues on B tractors. He said there are power steering issues on L tractors that have been corrected.

He will have the dealer call me when they are ready for the tractor. I'll keep you guys posted.

Alan L., TX

/ Leaking fuel, power steering problems #5  
Alan, I mentioned having had that problem, but only twice, the first summer, and it went away by itself. I don't know whether it will happen again or not, but I ran it full tilt the last two days (11.1 hours Sunday and 9.1 hours Monday) doing some heavy duty grass and weed cutting with the brush hog and the outside temperature got almost 90 degrees and not even a hint of that problem. My two year warranty won't be up until Aug. 12, and I've now got 290 hours on the tractor.

Bird

Bird, right now I can duplicate the problem by getting the tractor good and hot brush hogging, then switching to high range and heading out across the field. When I try to turn the steering binds. It feels like someone is grabbing the steering wheel, or that the front wheels are in ruts.

I think thats the tip of the iceberg, when it gets hot I'm sure the power steering will go out completely like it did before.

My guess is that you don't have anything to worry about on your tractor. My goodness, I only have 208 hours on my tractor and its older. Of course mine only gets used on weekends.......

Alan L., TX