BX2750 Snowblower Shear Bolts

/ BX2750 Snowblower Shear Bolts #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
There are two different shear bolts used for the BX 2750 snowblower. They are not interchangeable and if you use the wrong one, it will lead to premature failure of other snowblower parts. The fan, that is the part at the back of the snowblower that pushes the snow out the chute takes a part # 70060-01075. The part description is "Shear bolt 1/4" NC X 1 1/4", grade 5 with locking nut". Unlike most of the other parts, that are described similarly that say O/L (obtain locally), this one has a part number assigned to it. For this reason, I have a feeling that it is a special part in some way. It might only be the locking nut.
The other shear pin that is for the auger, is part # 70060-01338 and is described as"Shear bolt 5/16" NC X 2 1/4", lockwasher & nut". This it the bolt in the picture with the pencil pointing to it. This bolt has two grooves cut into it, but only one is clearly visible.
One other important item is to remember to use chain and bar oil on the gearbox chain and to grease the auger fittings to prevent the auger from becoming rusted to the shaft which will defeat the purpose of having shear pins. If you replace the shear pins with the wrong type of bolt, you will do damage to the gear box of the snowblower. The manual suggest that the chain be oiled every 4 hours and after every use. The auger every 24 hours of operation or once a year whichever comes first. Check gear box oil every month according to the manual.

Attachments

• 557203-ShearBolt (600 x 450).jpg
    557203-ShearBolt (600 x 450).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,775
   / BX2750 Snowblower Shear Bolts #2  
re: lubing the snowblower chain. Are you using a long spouted oiler and going down thru the opening of the chain housing or are you removing the housing?
great site.

/ BX2750 Snowblower Shear Bolts
I just dribbled a small amount on the chain from above. Then I cleaned up the puddle under the machine. I am going to get a pump oil can to put it directly on the chain in the future. I need to examine the situation more closely to devise a "dripless" method for the future, but that won't happen until warm weather. I am thinking that in the spring, I will remove the chain, and warm it in a old toaster over and while it is hot, place it into a pan of bar oil. Hopefully that will cause the chain to draw in the oil and lubricate better. Chain problems are caused by lack of lubrication and dirt, both of which are next to impossible to cure on a snowblower. Periodic maintenance is the best that we can do to alleviate the situation. I also plan on getting a few extra master links to repair it for the day it breaks.

/ BX2750 Snowblower Shear Bolts #4  
I've been using motorcycle chain lube for over 28 years on the chain of the old Case 446 blower without ever a chain failure. I'll be doing the same to the chain on the new(used) 2750 blower for my BX2230. Works good for me.