BX23 - Box Scrapers

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #11  
I have a Woods 48", soon to be painted orange and with Kubota stickers added to it. Can't stand it when they don't match.
Anyhow, it's a must have, you can set it deep enough to stop the BX in it's tracks, but set properly it's a great tool. The box blade and a toothbar are the best money I've spent on the BX.
(besides my cool new chrome FEL knob from AutoZone)
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers
Does a Box Scrapper basically scrape the earth, with no moving parts? Is it like a dragging rake/pitch fork combo ... Does it scrape into the earth 2 inches..three inches? Does it breakup roots...

On a gravel driveway, does it scrape the rock to the surface then the box levels? Bare with the detail questions.

Thinking ahead for the spring.

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #13  
Jim,
Box scapers do many things. The shanks(or scarifiers) can be set to dig in at different depths, thus breaking up the earth and tearing up roots. The can be set all the way up or removed completely if you are just usung the box to move dirt. Most BB's have a front facing and rear facing blade. It is shaped like a V in the back of the BB. When you adjust the top link on your 3PH all the way in, the front blade (or scarifiers if needed) dig into the ground and the soil gets collected in the box. You can then drag to whatever location and raise the 3PH to deposit the soil. If the top link is all the way extended, the rear blade will smooth out the soil without filling up the box. A hydraulic top link is great for a BB because you can adjust the toplink on the fly and level and smooth areas much quicker. I don't have a hydraulic top link but have had great success doing it the manual way.

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers
Since I'm new -

If one has a BB then do you need a rake to gather stones and roots from the BB? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #15  
Jim,
I have both. Gauge wheels on the rake are supposed to make it work much better though. I had a set welded on my rake but haven't tried it yet. It works pretty well without them though to pile up the roots and such.