Block heater problem?

/ Block heater problem? #1  

newtattoobob

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650, Kubota BX1850, RTV900XT Worksite, Kubota U17,1942 Farmall H, 1950 Ford 8N
I recently installed a block heater in my L3400 and today was the first time I got to use it. I left it plugged in for about two hours and when I came back to start it there had been coolant dripping out of the overflow. What would cause this? Could I have possibly put two much coolant back in? The tractor also did this when it was new for the first couple of uses. it would leave a couple drops of coolant on the ground but it eventually stopped, I assumed maybe the dealer had overfilled it when they prepped it. Anybody else expierence this? Thanks Bob

/ Block heater problem? #2  
When you heat a liquid, it expands as the temperature rises. You probably put back a little more than was needed. No harm was done and check the coolant expansion tank to see if the proper level is being maintained after you use the tractor for a while. It might have a air pocket in the engine that will have to work its way out and then the coolant level might be too low. Keep an eye on it for the first couple of hours and it will usually adjust itself to where it wants to be. If when the engine is cold, the coolant expansion tank is not up to the cold level line, add enough coolant mixture to bring it to this level. After that, never open the radiator cap, but always check the coolant level in the expansion tank. Make sure to clean up the spills, since it is toxic to animals and humans. Coolant can also poison your water well, so take care to dispose of properly.