WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST??

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST?? #1  

smittyd3

Silver Member
Tractor
L3130
Maybe this has been covered. When do you need to use the clutch with the GST other than when hooking up equipment to the 3 pt. hitch?

Does anyone use the clutch when going from forward to reverse?

Is it detrimental to use the clutch?

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST?? #2  
Only when you feel the need to although you normally don't need to use it.

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST?? #3  
Use the clutch manually, like Art said, whenever you feel like using it, otherwise just shift without it.

I only use it when creeping real slow using the FEL, basically that is about the only time I ever use it.

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST??
Thank you Art and SkyPup for clearing that up. I haven't used the tractor very much and I didn't want to do anything to cause a problem.

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST?? #5  
Well, if you've been going forward in other than the lowest gear, and want to change to reverse, feathering the clutch smooths things a bit. The other time I use the clutch alot is when moving dirt with the FEL - it's a lot easier to ease the FEL into a mound of dirt and feather the clutch as the engine begins to lug or the tires to churn. Clutch use optional for most things - not essential, but sure makes things smoother.

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST?? #6  
You can use it any time you think it makes things more comfortable. The only time you really need to use it is turning on the tractor or the PTO.

Just dont ride it, the clutch will last you a long time if you use it sparingly.

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST??
Thanks again for the information. I was just unsure about the clucth usage. I have always had a tractor with a regular transmission.

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST?? #8  
smitty,
I have a 4310GST. Don't know if the GST's in the 30 series are exactly the same but with mine the manual says specifically to use the clutch for direction changes or starting out if you don't allow the rpms to drop to idle to prevent driveline shock according to the book. The GST in the 10 series is basic and does not preclude the use of the clutch when doing things like bushhoggin when you want to set the rpm and not change it. Check your manual and let me know just for the heck of it if they have changed the GST's. With some tractors with this type of shifting, clutching is not necessary.
GregH

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST?? #9  
Here is all the GST does:

Taken from “New Features of the Kubota Grand L30 Series Compact Tractors”

The Glide Shift Transmission (GST) is original Kubota technology which provides 12 forward and 8 reverse shift-on-the-go gears without the need for clutch operation. The GST has a hydraulic clutch and transmission gears that are changed by the action of an actuator located in the transmission. When the operator initiates a gear change, the GST automatically performs a series of operations that includes disengaging the hydraulic clutch prior to the gear change, changing the gears and then engaging the hydraulic clutch after the change.

The ECU allows for a single shifting lever that actuates a potentiometer signifying the specific gear selection. In the Grand L30 series tractors, the ECU controls a proportional pressure reducing valve, solenoid valves, and performs a gear change by operating a hydraulic clutch.

With this GST system the pressurization of the hydraulic clutch can be set by a proportional pressure reducing valve for limitless stages, all of which is controlled by the ECU. The tractor is equipped with an engine tachometer sensor and a travel speed sensor, as well as a potentiometer that distinguishes the position of the gear selection lever. Based on digital signals from the engine tachometer sensor and the potentiometer, travel speed after the completion of a gear change is calculated, while the travel speed sensor calculates the actual travel speed. Based on the difference between the two speeds, the pressurization characteristics of the hydraulic fluid supplied to the clutch is set. Thus the Kubota GST brings about a smooth gear change by changing the pressurization characteristic in response to the various patterns of gear operation.

Acceleration of the tractor is calculated based on digital signals from the travel speed sensor. Under conditions when the tractor accelerates rapidly, the pressurization is changed to become slower during the pressurization process. When the tractor accelerates slowly, the pressurization is changed to be more prompt.

After the hydraulic clutch begins engaging and the acceleration of the tractor starts, the acceleration is calculated and the pressurization characteristic is compensated. Tractors may be equipped with a variety of different implements according the context of work users wish to perform. In particular, when an extremely heavy implement is attached to the tractor, acceleration does not occur until the compensation begins, which makes gear change time much longer. Therefore the compensation of the pressurization characteristic based on the total tractor weight is realized. The offset can be input using the “Adjustment Mode” of the IntelliPanel, with the correct offset stored in ROM. The ECU of the GST takes in the correction value by communicating with the ECU of the IntelliPanel and compensates the pressurization characteristic. The offset is just a derivative of the diameter of the tractors tire diameter.

BTW, feel free to use the clutch whenever you wish. I use mine most often when starting from a complete stop in Gear >7, rarely if ever below that except when creeping in close quarter work with the FEL.

/ WHEN TO USE CLUTCH WITH L3130 GST?? #10  
Wow! Thanks for the update. The 30 Series certainly has an updated GST system. Now with the new info makes me want to upgrade. They seem to have fixed my only complaint with these tractors, and that is the computer taking into effect all the conditions and makeing it essentially clutch free to operate!
Happy Tractorin'
GregH