BX15 and a post hole digger?

/ BX15 and a post hole digger? #1  

Scrounger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I noticed on a few boards that a post hole digger is not recommended on a BX15, I knew the backhoe was not an option, but I was sure I could use a post hole digger. I dont want to jump to a BX23 just to use the post hole digger.

Recommendations or suggestions?

I have a few acres I need to fence I REALLY wanted to justify the BX15 so I could use the PTO post hole digger.

/ BX15 and a post hole digger? #2  
Scrounger,

I was at a dealer last week that had a BX1500 sitting on the lot with a Woods PHD on it. Looked like a good fit.

Good luck,

KB

/ BX15 and a post hole digger? #3  
You need to look carefully.

There is no way my Rhino post hole digger will work on my BX2200. Physically impossible...I am sad to say.

Now there are some PHDs that do work on the BXs.

The BX1830/2230 has a limited size 3PH. I assume the BX1500 would be even more limited, but I don't know if that is so or not.

If you don't need the backhoe of the BX23 (you do, you just don't know you do, if you think you don't) then you only need to step up to the BX1830 to get the larger (I assume) 3PH.

If the BX1500 will not work with the PHD, you might want to consider moving up to a tractor that will take a standard PHD, something like a B7510 or whatever the current number is...

Depending on your age, tractors are forever, so spending the money on the right size to begin with can save money in the long run.

Myself, I only have a few acres to deal with and for me the BX1500 would not be enough tractor for my needs...knowing what I know now... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX15 and a post hole digger? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You need to look carefully.

There is no way my Rhino post hole digger will work on my BX2200. Physically impossible...I am sad to say.

Now there are some PHDs that do work on the BXs.

The BX1830/2230 has a limited size 3PH. I assume the BX1500 would be even more limited, but I don't know if that is so or not.

If you don't need the backhoe of the BX23 (you do, you just don't know you do, if you think you don't) then you only need to step up to the BX1830 to get the larger (I assume) 3PH.

If the BX1500 will not work with the PHD, you might want to consider moving up to a tractor that will take a standard PHD, something like a B7510 or whatever the current number is...

Depending on your age, tractors are forever, so spending the money on the right size to begin with can save money in the long run.

Myself, I only have a few acres to deal with and for me the BX1500 would not be enough tractor for my needs...knowing what I know now... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

could you dig post holes with the BX23 BH.?

/ BX15 and a post hole digger? #5  
The BX1500 is not "more limited" than the BX1830/2230 when it comes to the 3ph from my comparisons...............Actually the 1500 and others are close to the same except the 1500 is slightly shorter in the engine bay front end area and can turn shorter.

If the 1830/2230 handles the PHD the 1500 should be able to also. The one thing the 1500 does have though is slightly smaller rear tires which might cause the PHD to sit 1 or 2 inches lower while on the 3 pt hitch.

And before i see someone post something about the "lack of power" Let me dispel that myth by saying I see no issues with power so far with my 1500 vs other BX models. And if your doing work thats out of the 1500 category then odds are henro is correct and you need to step up to the next category of tractor.

I see it like this, if at least 50% of your duties are lawn cutting with other work (snow blowing, loader work, ect the other 50%) then the 1500 is your choice with its short turning radius. If its less than 50% or you have 3-8 acres of property to maintain then the 1830/2230 is your choice. If its different work than that or larger property you need to start stepping up in size.

/ BX15 and a post hole digger? #6  
Scrounger,

I think you ended up getting the 2230. But for any BX1500 owners interested in a PHD, I snapped the attached photo at a Kubota dealer near Lansing, MI yesterday while in the area. They had a Woods PHD25 on theirs.

KB

Attachments

• 611936-bx1500phd.jpg
    611936-bx1500phd.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 543
   / BX15 and a post hole digger?
KB

Your right IO did end up with the 2230. I'm thinking of a Speeco over the Woods for a PHD at this point. Their are a ton of options I'm finding so I need to start a little survey to find out what PHD's the 2230 folks are using other than the Woods.

/ BX15 and a post hole digger? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( could you dig post holes with the BX23 BH.? )</font>

Yes you can, I have a gearmore phd with 8 and 12" augers. I have not run this into rocky soil yet so I have no way of giving you an idea of how it will work in those conditions and its stll wet here so the 60 holes I dug were cake. Remind me to try it in august when everything is baked back over. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX15 and a post hole digger? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( could you dig post holes with the BX23 BH.?)</font>

I have a full sized PHD made by Greene, purchased at Northern Tool for about $360 and 42" augers, 14" dia. @ $120 & 6" dia @ $80. BX2200 lift arms must be at mid-height for full spread to get the U-bar on first. There is 6" of clearance at full height with PHD on. Won't dig in hard clay and in wet clay you may as well try to drill a hole in a milkshake. Clay must be at perfect moisture content to work. Other soils should be no problem. Power is absolutely no problem on my BX2200 when soil conditions are correct. It will drill a full depth 14" dia. hole in 5 seconds. To dig in hard soil you can get a Land Pride unit with rear hydraulic downpressure and carbide fishtail auger tip. Price including modifications to BX for rear hydraulics runs a bit over $2k. TBN member Ultrarunner has one on a BX23.