Kubota L48 Loader capacity

/ Kubota L48 Loader capacity #1  

blackbearmine

I just took delivery of a new L48 with a heavy duty CA 4 in one bucket and 3 spool valve for rear hydraulics. I've read quite a bit in these discussion groups about the awesome power of the L48 loader. However in the few hours that I've used my machine the loader seems a little anemic. It stops cold when I try to lift some oak stumps (already dug out and stacked) and also stalls on sizable rocks. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic and maybe there are some pressure adujustments that need to be made. The hoe works fine and all the other features are great. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Frank F.

/ Kubota L48 Loader capacity #2  
It should easily lift anything that will fit in the bucket. and more. I'm glad you mentioned they were already dug out. I would think your either not up to full system pressure or the valve is having an issue. Do you have mechanical self leveling?

/ Kubota L48 Loader capacity #3  
not to insult your intelligence, but are you used to driving a hydrostatic tractor? Its very difficult to stall an L48 in low range... when the tractor starts to fight, back off the pedal instead of pushing it to the floor.

/ Kubota L48 Loader capacity
Thanks for the input. I'll test it with some other heavy objects tomorrow and see if it passes muster. I do have mechanical self leveling. The FEL controls are smooth and responsive, but the bucket lift stops cold. The bucket curl function also stalls when challenged. The CA bucket is heavy (around 800 lbs.) but that should not tax the system. What is the procedure for testing and/or adjusting system pressure. I have a pretty good shop/barn but no specialized Kubota tools. Frank F.

This is my first Hydrostatic tractor. No problems with the L-48 stalling in low range. With the hoe attached and water in the rear tires, it has great traction. My only problem so far has been front loader power. I also noticed that the backhoe stabilzer cylinders will not lift the machine off the ground. Perhaps another indication of low system pressure? Thanks for any suggestions. Frank F.

/ Kubota L48 Loader capacity #6  
If the rear stabilizers won't lift it off the ground take it back to the dealer and let him worry about what is wrong. If you start tinkering with the pressures, etc. you could void the warranty if you mess something up.

That's what the warranty is for.

Bill Tolle

/ Kubota L48 Loader capacity #7  
The stabilizers should very easily lift the tractor off the ground. The dealer can very easily check the hydraulic pressure and on the L48, it is very easy to adjust. On my L3830 HST, I installed a pressure gauge on the dump line for the bucket. It will give me the pressure of the system whenever I fully extend the dump cylinders. I used to have the L48 with hydraulic leveling. The first loader valve assembly was set up wrong. I was shipped a brand new control valve.

/ Kubota L48 Loader capacity #8  
What RPM are you running at? If you have it near idle, it would have the effect you describe because the hydraulic system isn't achieving enough output. But if you have it revved up even part way (say 1500 rpm or higher), you should have plenty of power in the hydraulics. If you have it revved and it's still weak, it needs to visit the dealer.

Thanks for the input. Now that I've got some hours on the machine, I'm running it at close to rated RPM. Performance has improved considerably. I think part of the problem may be the heavy (around 900lbs) CA 4 in 1 bucket I'm using. Regards, Frank F.