Am I asking too much of my BX 2230?

/ Am I asking too much of my BX 2230? #11  
Junkman,

Even with a cab I had snow on me. The snow was so fine and the wind was blowing so much it found all the leaks when I was blowing into the wind. BUT I am sure I had less on me then you you did. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Am I asking too much of my BX 2230? #12  
I bought a front mount hydaulically angled 60" front blade with the rubber edge blade for my Kubota BX23. It was able to handle the 15" of snow in my area. This blade is a lot easier to use than a rear blade. Last year I plowed with a B2410 with rear blade and FEL. The front blade with hydraulic angle was more effecient and comfortable to use than my previous setup. I chose this over a snowblower because it was cheaper and we generally do no get large snowfalls.

/ Am I asking too much of my BX 2230? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks. Kinda what I thought the responses would. 1.5 feet is too much to ask unless you have a blower. )</font>

No, I have moved more than that on two occassions now with nothing but a loader and 5' back blade. You just need to develope a technique. No tractor will push snow forward indefinately. Once you get enough snow built up in front it will stop you. The trick is to go at 45 degree angles to your driveway, pushing the snow to the sides as you go. Make sure you aren't scraping the driveway hard with down pressure and when the tractor starts to slow down raise the loader up gradually and end in a dumping motion. Then you can go back and clean up later. Make sure you are in 4WD and low range.

What you experienced with the back blade is normal in deep snow. They work great on this size tractor with 4" or so but more than that will cause the "tiller" effect. Backwards works better. When using the back blade in not too deep snow I use high range and get some speed and momentum going. Eventually the windrow will be too big for the back blade to handle and then I use the loader.

Keep practicing, you will get the hang of it and see that the tractor is more than capable of handling 2 feet of snow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 571553-blizzard tractor.jpg
    571553-blizzard tractor.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 89
   / Am I asking too much of my BX 2230?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Thanks. Kinda what I thought the responses would. 1.5 feet is too much to ask unless you have a blower. )</font>

No, I have moved more than that on two occassions now with nothing but a loader and 5' back blade. You just need to develope a technique. No tractor will push snow forward indefinately. Once you get enough snow built up in front it will stop you. The trick is to go at 45 degree angles to your driveway, pushing the snow to the sides as you go. Make sure you aren't scraping the driveway hard with down pressure and when the tractor starts to slow down raise the loader up gradually and end in a dumping motion. Then you can go back and clean up later. Make sure you are in 4WD and low range.

What you experienced with the back blade is normal in deep snow. They work great on this size tractor with 4" or so but more than that will cause the "tiller" effect. Backwards works better. When using the back blade in not too deep snow I use high range and get some speed and momentum going. Eventually the windrow will be too big for the back blade to handle and then I use the loader.

Keep practicing, you will get the hang of it and see that the tractor is more than capable of handling 2 feet of snow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>Thanks Bob. I spoke to someone near my house who told me about the 45 degree approach. I went down the middle of the driveway first and then built up walls on each side that were too high to manuever in. I will try your technique next time.

jam

/ Am I asking too much of my BX 2230? #15  
I"m jealous. We were hoping for some snow, but all we got was some freezing rain. North South East and West of us got snow. ...and after our weather man was predicting 3 to 6 inches. I was already to have some fun & get some seat time ..but nooo. Oh well, i figure we'll get it next time. Just hate to be left out of the big snowstorms.

Moon of Ohio