Starter Problems ???

/ Starter Problems ??? #1  

randy82

Having problems with my 1982 L245DT starter, when I engage the starter , it just clicks 1 time for everytime you engage it but won't turn over. The battery seems to be fine. It is very cold up here in northeast Ohio now , may this have something to do with it??? Any ideas will be greatly welcome.....Thanks

/ Starter Problems ??? #2  
If you are only getting a single click, then I would suggest a replacement battery. If the tractor has headlamps on it, turn on the headlamps and have someone observe the lights while you attempt to crank the engine. If the headlamps dim dramatically, then the battery doesn't have sufficient charge to turn over the engine. There are other possibilities, but I prefer to only deal with one solution at a time and when that one proves not to work, then I make the next suggestion.... Junk...

/ Starter Problems ??? #3  
Right on Junkman. I try to start with a cheap fix first.

Battery's are cheaper than starters!

Enjoy,
ron

/ Starter Problems ??? #4  
Mayhaps try boosting the battery. Should help isolate the problem.

Egon

/ Starter Problems ??? #5  
The problem with boosting the battery is that the booster battery is connected to the terminals on the end of the battery cables. If the connection to the battery is corroded you may start the tractor but you have not solved the problem.

Clean the battery terminals first. Even if they look clean they can have a thin film on them that prevents them from making good contact.

Wire brush both the terminals and posts and reinstall.

Bill Tolle

/ Starter Problems ??? #6  
Hi Randy,
I had a very similar problem with a B2400. I tried everything you could imagine that was obvious, including buying a new battery, cleaning all starter related connections, adding ground wires, disassembling the starter solenoid and polishing /cleaning it. They all hgelped but never solved the problem for very long. Lucky for me there was a thread in this forum by a Kubota mechanic ("kubmech") who solved the problem. The cause for the click, which mainly occurs on tractors that are a few years old is a drop in voltage to the starter due to high resistance through the ignition switch, and the safety switches. There is a very simple ($20) fix available by installing a John Deere relay (it took me 15 minutes) which sends a full 12 volts to the starter motor. Fully color coded. I suggest you e-mail kubmech directly, and look back in the forum for starter problems and read the description.

/ Starter Problems ??? #7  
Extremes in the weather always brings out the worst in batteries and their connections. Don't matter if'n it's extremely hot or cold, either condition will exaserbate a weak battery, a loose connection, a corroded connection or a combination of all three.
A weak battery will fail under either equally but will seem to operate properly in mild weather.
As has been posted, make sure the battery is fully charged and that all connections between the battery & starter/solenoid are clean & tight. The clicking means power is getting to the solenoid but not through it to the starter terminal.
And a clicking solenoid sounds like either a weak battery, a bad connection between the solenoid & battery, a bad ground, a bad starter or bad solenoid contacts. It is easy to by pass the solenoid to see if the starter will turn over but you need to use caution as the current produced by a fully charged battery can weld metal! Not to mention burn your hands or damage your electrics.

Generally a 40 month battery is good for 40 months, a 50 for 50, a 60 for 60 etc etc etc. Anything over means you're getting your moneys worth but is also pushing it past it's time.....

Good luck
Volfandt