Bronze Member
    Tractor
    BX23

Default Sod cutter ideas? BX2200

I have a good-sized former garden spot that is so thick with Centipede grass. I'd like to move some of it using a sod cutter and my FEL. I looked through the Woods website and didn't see anything. I am considering trying to piece something together that might work. I'd like to be able to adjust depth with a set of additional wheels or skids.

Any ideas on an already built unit somewhere or plans for building one?

Tractor
    Kubota B3000HSDCC

Default Re: Sod cutter ideas? BX2200

You can do this with the FEL alone unless you want to save the sod for use elswhere.
    I used to prep gardens by removing the sod with a flat spade. Back-breaking, tiresome work. Once I got the BX2200 I removed the sod for a flower bed in 3 minutes. Would have taken all day with a spade.
    Phil

After planting a new tree in the front yard, I noticed that my BX would hardly move.
    I had left my Woods 48" box blade down by mistake, and had a whole box full of sod to show for it. Managed to put it all back before the wife saw it and had a fit.
    Correctly adjusted (angle) that blade makes one heck of a sod buster.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    BX23

I did forget to mention that I wanted to keep the grass for planting elsewhere. What would be ideal is an implement that would cut the sod in continuous lengths and have about the same width as plats of grass you buy. The FEL could cut the pieces to length. With a decent depth control to keep the topsoil fairly thin under the root system, and a little back work of rolling sections up, all that would be left is loading them and then rolling them out where needed.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 2710

See if the rental places have something to do this. We've got sod farms all over the place by me but I've never seen what kind of machine they use to dig it up. I see it disappear year after year and get replanted.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota L3130

they do sell an implent that does what your looking for but they are big money & you need a 40 hp + tractor to run it. My advice is just rent a walkbehind sod cutter. Every rental center has one. They cut the sod in to neat strips just like you buy it. I have rented them many times & replanted the sod & had great success just remember sod needs about triple the amount of water that dry seed would need.

Tractor
    Kubota B7500 HST

Oh now that's a good one! I ain't done that, just yet.
    My FEL has gathered a few shovel full size hunks of sod when mowing.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After planting a new tree in the front yard, I noticed that my BX would hardly move.
    I had left my Woods 48" box blade down by mistake, and had a whole box full of sod to show for it. Managed to put it all back before the wife saw it and had a fit.
    Correctly adjusted (angle) that blade makes one heck of a sod buster.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )</font>