kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours #1  

scott_in_ny

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota BX-22.......couple of sears riding mowers that the neighbors were throwing away at one time or another.
saw a couple of auctions same deal almost.
i dont know how to link. sorry
im not looking for a tractor.
the ads say its open to pre-approved buyers only. buy it now $3000.00....

whats the scam?
i know there is some scam going on.

can someone fill me in. im just getting into this ebay thing.
i have not bought anything yet though.

thanks
scott

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours #2  
Where is it? Foreign country? There are a million was to get scammed.

If it looks too good, it is, no doubt. I wouldn't buy anything big off e-bay, ever. I will only ever spend on e-bay what I can afford to throw away ($0).

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours #3  
Apparently the $3000 scam is due to Western Union(?) or one of the other services that has a $3000 limit on what they will transfer with minimal paperwork/identification on the receiving end.

They take the money and RUN

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours #4  
can't tell you what particular SCAM this is, but take my word for it it is a scam. AS WITH ALL THINGS IF IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT AIN'T.

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours #6  
Here is an old thread describing how the scammers sell imaginary tractors using another ebayer's ID.

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours
well i guess someone at ebay caught on.
the 3 or 4 auctions going on are all gone.

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours #8  
Never send a money order..only bid if person accepts PayPal (which is free) or a major credit card...Watch the feedback..if the person has not been around for 6 months plus..then walk.

I lost once from a scam and have learned the hard way. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours #9  
Paypal is free for the buyer, but for expensive items, sellers pay through the nose. I sold a pair of cylinder heads for $900 last year, and the paypal fees were almost $30. That's alot. I won't take paypal on items over about $500, although about 95% of the stuff I sell is less than $150, so most of the time I do.

As for the scams, they have been around for a long time now. Any time you see "pre approved bidders only", assume it's a scam. Sellers used to pre approve bidders for expensive items, but now, selles aren't doing it anymore, since the scams have started.

/ kubota on ebay for $3000 w/8hours #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Apparently the $3000 scam is due to Western Union(?) or one of the other services that has a $3000 limit on what they will transfer with minimal paperwork/identification on the receiving end.)</font>

The recipient of a Western Union transfer MUST provide photo identification. The sender and receiver could use a code word or phrase to insure additional proper identification. Additional paperwork for the government may now be required for large dollar transfers but is wasn't when I was an agent back in 1996-98. I have no idea what foreign requirements are.

BTW, here in the USA, the agent is totally responsible for insuring that the person receiving the money is the person it was sent to. If the agent processes a transaction for the wrong person and cashes the WU check (which he is obligated to do under the WU agents agreement), then the agent is out that money. Agents must use their own funds to cash the WU check for customers. Reimbursement comes when the agents bank clears the WU check. Procedures may have changed since 1998.