Parking Brake

/ Parking Brake #1  

gentlemanfarmer

Just bought a M4900.

I ran the tractor with the parking brake set for about 10 min. Only noticed the problem when I went uphill...the engine put out black exhaust. I clutched it immediately....the revs rose sharply.

The tractor has run well since then....

Does anybody think I did any long term damage???????

/ Parking Brake #2  
Gentlemanfarmer...

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. I used to have a B7100HST and never could remember to release the brake. I'll bet after 5 years of ownership I must have put 100-hours of time on the tractor with the brake set. I never had a lick of trouble with it and it would stop on a dime /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

FarmerBob

/ Parking Brake #3  
The M4900 has wet disc brakes - will not wear measureably in a very long time. You didn't do any damage except for the smog into your neighborhood.

That 2803 engine has serious power. But it is kinda showing off to run with the brakes on.

Power is good.

/ Parking Brake #4  
I'm like farmerBob. I think I already have an hour or so on the brakes after forgetting to release the parking brake. It is happening a lot less, as I recognize the sound now when I forget. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

The GlueGuy

/ Parking Brake #5  
I'm presuming the parking brake must be adjustable?? Just a guess because I can't move with my brake on. And trust me...I've tried!!! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Kevin

/ Parking Brake #6  
I have run with the Parking brake on with my L3010 and have not had any ill effects.

bruce

/ Parking Brake #7  
Kevin...

My new L2600 won't move with the brake on either. Otherwise, I'd have begun the process of clocking more hours with the brake set. Now I know when "Nehi" won't go she's tell'n me to "release the brake stupid"! /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

FarmerBob

/ Parking Brake #8  
My BX1800 will go (somewhat reluctantly) in low range even with the brake on. I already have way too much experience with that and hope I've not caused any undue wear in 10 hours of use. I am not accustomed to setting the barking brake but found out that was a bad idea since you must start the tractor with the hydro disengaged! The sucker rolls real good! Just have to establish new and better habits.

/ Parking Brake #9  
"just have to establish new and better habits"

I knew if I kept reading Muhammad's board I'd stumble onto the secret of life.