BX2230 Engine Breakin

/ BX2230 Engine Breakin #1  

Scrounger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
Here's an off the wall question, but if you needed to put 20 or so hours on a new tractor, would lettingit idle for a few hours at a time hurt the engine since its a steady speed beig used during breakin? I was also told to vary the rpm whenyou break an engine in, but then again I've never owned a diesel before either.

/ BX2230 Engine Breakin #2  
Idling is not a good idea. Especially at the lowest possible idle.

This has been discussed a lot and one thing I got from it is that if you are going to let a diesel idle for more than a couple of minutes you need to keik the RPM's up a little so the oil pressure will stay up.

On my B7510 it will idle down to around 1,000 RPM so it leave it at 1,200 to 1,300 if I amd going to let it idle for very long. That is the recommended RPM for warm up in the Kubota manual (could be wrong here, my memory gets worse every day).

I ran mine mostly in the 1,500 to 1,800 RPM range with some short spurts up to 2,000 for the first 50 hours and tried to vary the RPM's every 5 or 10 minutes.

Some folks say run them like you are going to use them. It turns out that now that I am slightly past 50 hours I still seem to run in the same range most of the time. It works well there.

Bill Tolle

/ BX2230 Engine Breakin #3  
When I bought my bx 23 the dealer and the mechanic at the dealership said to run it as needed and that no break in was necessary. I have over 400 hours on mine and I have used it in all the rpm ranges since I got it home. The only thing they didn;t want me to do was run it at max. They said to back it off 3-4 hundred rpm from max, but that was for operation of the tractor and not for break in. The newer engines are made at such close tolerances that there is virtually no need for a break in like on the engines from years past. At least that is what I have been told . I asked another dealer the same question before purchasing and he said the same thing. But the are those on this board that may disagree. Do what you feel is right.