L5030 Towing Limits????????

/ L5030 Towing Limits???????? #1  

WVBartMan

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030, M9540
I have been thinking of purchasing a larger scraper (2.5 cy capacity) and was wondering if anyone knew what Kubota says about limits on the tow bar tongue weight and towing GVW for an L5030? The weight distribution is as follows:

Scraper GVW Fully Loaded: 8,150 lbs
Tongue Weight on Draw Bar: 1,956 lbs
Scraper Net Weight during Towing: 6,194 lbs

Weight of L5030 with FEL & R4 Tires Filled: 6,000 lbs est.

My present scraper holds 1.3 cy (3,250 lbs) and weighs 1,100 lbs empty for a total loaded weight (gvw) of 4,350 lbs and it attaches to the three-point lift arms instead of the draw bar, thus extending the weight further from the tractor. The tractor handles this easy, as if it wasn't even there. My brother inlaw wants to buy my scraper and he has me half way convinced to buy the larger capacity scraper (http://www.ashlandind.com/35d.HTML), model 25S from Ashland Industries.

Has anyone had any experience pulling heavy loads on the draw bar and its limitations? Any opinions, experiences and or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Does anyone own a 25S Scraper from Ashland, if so, what's your opinion on the scraper?

Thanks Again for your responses, Bart

/ L5030 Towing Limits???????? #2  
I don't know the numbers you're looking for but my gut reaction is that is is too heavy for the L5030. I think you'd find your nose too light even if the drawbar could support the weight.

Even 1000 lbs would be a large tongue weight for that size tractor. Maybe with the drawbar shortened as much as possible...

/ L5030 Towing Limits???????? #3  
According to the owners manual, 6600# trailer weight with a maximum tongue weight of 1430#. Realizing that the specs are on the conservative side, I would pull more, but do not think that I would increase the tongue weight by that much more.

/ L5030 Towing Limits????????
DumbDog: The weights I used in the initial post are the maximums when in reality the average would be a 2 cy load resulting in a 6,900 gvw, 1,656 lb tongue weight and a 5,244 lb load (scraper) net. I have several three point implements that weigh 850 to 1,000 lb and the tractor handles them well without the FEL. Running the draw bar as short as possible will definatly help in keeping the front end on the ground should I get into heavy material.

I guess what I'm trying to do is to compare the weight/limitations and instead of the weight being hung out on the three point hitch, instead it would be on the draw bar, closer to the tractor, hopefully more stable.

/ L5030 Towing Limits???????? #5  
Three point lift capacity is 2980#. I would make sure that I had some ballast in the loader bucket.