BX Bent Frame

/ BX Bent Frame #1  

Anonymous Poster

Looking at the BX from the rear, it appears that the frame that holds the lower part of the 3pt hitch is slightly skewed to one side. Adjusting the stabilizers helps to realign implements, but I'm getting cold feelings about the ability of the BX to handle "normal" wear and tear. Seems like using a rear blade in reverse when the force of the tractor is pushing, or putting on a heavy tiller might be pushing the limits of this sub-compact's muscle.

Have any other BX owners observed similar skewing or bending? Any ideas on how to realign the frame?

Cody

/ BX Bent Frame #2  
Cody,

Have to admit that the first thought that went through my mind when I read your post was that you are probably a John Deere dealer. Just something about the wording!

Anyway, I have had no problems - and don't anticipate any with using my LandPride 5ft rear blade on heavy clay (forward and backward). Also have had no problems with my WorkSaver ripper on heavy compacted clay (the garden is now growing nicely). To be honest, I've had all four wheels spinning (turf tires) and rammed a few big rocks underground with the ripper that brought the BX to a complete stop - but have not seen any bending whatsoever. Not on the implement, the linkages or the tractor.

If anything I would expect the BX frame to be stiffer than that on, for example, the B7500 because it is shorter. I have heard no problems on this board - and I'm a lightweight user compared to several others. The tractor weight / frame stiffness / engine power seem to be just right for an amateur like me that is prone to abuse it.

Hope this serves to dispel any uneasiness you may have. To clarify - are you looking to buy a BX or are you an owner of one?

/ BX Bent Frame #3  
Cody, are you talking about the massive u-shaped frame that bolts to the tractor frame with bunch of finger sized bolts? If so it is possible that you need to loosen the bolts and readjust the frame to square. I think it is possible that frame has slotted holes for adjustment--not sure?--anyway if the bolts were not tight or tight enough and force were to be applied to the frame it might slip or even bend if not properly supported. I could--as usual be entirely wrong since I am not there to take a look see. I can tell you I have been shoving stuff around in reverse with my boxblade with no problems. The Front end loader on my unit set crooked I thought and after use one day I set the tractor on level ground and loosened the bolts and set some cement bags in the loader and then retightened the bolts--now it is square--seems two of the bolts were slightly loose.
Perhaps, like periodically retorquing wheel bolts especially when new these frame bolts and loader frame bolts might also need some occasional retorquing. I think the paint is one reason they loosesn up. Check it out and tell me what you think--hope this helps. J

/ BX Bent Frame
RPM,

No, I'm not a John Deer dealer, I'm an owner of a BX. I understand the skeptisism, but rest assure, I'm not trying to slam Kubota, just wondering if I'm being to rough on the BX.

/ BX Bent Frame
TresCrows,

Yes, I'm talking about the massive u-shaped frame with the finger sized bolts. I'll check the bolts for torque later today, thanks for the suggestion. From my initial inspection, I didn't notice if they were adjustable, but admittedly I didn't look close. Hope you're right.

Cody

/ BX Bent Frame
GlueGuy,

I don't have a picture at the moment, but I'll take one before I try the previous suggestion of realigning the bolts. Hopefully the before and after pictures will be different to the tune of a straight 3pt hitch and frame.

Cody

/ BX Bent Frame
Ditto Ditto on the fellow's comments on bolts working loose.

By the time they "look" loose it's too late as they probably have been banging the threads to death if it's an "internal" nut in the tractor. It's surprising how they can loosen up but they do.

del

/ BX Bent Frame #9  
Cody - I had a good look at the BX last night. I think that what you are looking at is not the frame, but the transmission / rear PTO / rear axle housing. This is mounted on the frame, but is not part of it. The frame is made of steel plate that runs on either side of this housing, then has a U shaped piece that drops underneath the PTO shaft.

It's not uncommon for these trans housings to taper from side-to-side due to the different size of gears and other components internally.

Hope this is what you were looking at ...

/ BX Bent Frame #10  
I too have recently thought my FEL was crooked. What bolts did you tighten to correct this problem?