Power Steering Problem Not Solved

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved
Well, 7:00 in the evening, 90 degrees or less, my power steering acts up after 1.5 hours. Gonna do some more brush hogging tomorrow but the dealer won't be open, thus I can't get a witness.

I'm convinced the Kubota rep who supposedly checked out my tractor is a liar. The problem is entirely too easy to duplicate at this point.

Alan L., TX

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #12  
Alan
I was going to ask you if your power steering is still giving you problems. I guess this message answers that question.
My tractor is still having the same problem./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif It has gotten so bad that when tractor is idling, steering is hard and very noisy. Next week dealer and a <font color=orange> Kubota </font color=orange> Field Representative are coming to my place and cut the back pasture until steering starts to act up. I don't think they will be able not to find problem./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Temperature today was less than 80 degrees and problem showed up after only 45 minutes.
One very interesting item I got from the dealer is that no district has reported any steering problems. Including your area. I guess visits to dealer by a Field Representative to investigate problems do not require him to report it to California if he says there is nothing wrong./w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #13  
Kubota steering problem is all in your head (your eyes are getting heavy) Kubota steering is perfect (you are feeling sleepy) kubota tractors are perfect and have no problems (you are in a deep relaxing sleep) Kubota factory reps are gods and can't be wrong (when you leave this post you will be completely alert and feel relaxed and rested)

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #14  
If the oil is overheatiing this could cause a problem. Oil cooler would help (I think some old Fords use to have this on their power steering return line) but this would be just a patch not the fix.

Why am I getting sleepy? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
freebie-maple-leaf.gif

2001 BX2200 All Kubota FEL, Tiller, box blade, blower w/elec shute, 60 mid mt deck, Ag tires.
Grey market B7000 w/Tiller (120 hrs)
1984 JD 316 after 687 hrs.

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved
I mowed about 5 hours on the 4th and wrestled with the power steering the last 3. There was nobody to call about it. It has been worse before, it started after about 2 hours but was intermittent. Sometimes it got better for a while.

When it really gets bad I have no power steering at all unless I let the tractor cool down at idle. This usually happens when the temp gets close to 100.

What really pisses me off is that I'll be cruising along in medium range right toward a cedar tree that we decided to keep when I whip the steering wheel to the left, barely miss the tree and then whip back and bring the brush hog right in past the tree. Except when I apply the expected amount of pressure required to "whip" I have zero power steering for a second and the FEL goes right through the cedar tree. For this reason I have to be more careful as I have lost the manueverability that I have when the steering is working properly.

I try to detect any funny noises but don't hear anything unusual. About the only consistency is that the temp guage gets up close to half way when the problem occurs.

We're fixing to have some 100 degree days early next week so I might take off work and mow something.

I actually had a dream of finally getting someone to witness the problem while it acts up. I'm struggling with no power steering. I stop and the Kubota rep gets on, makes a couple rounds and says "What?" /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Alan L., TX

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #16  
Now yer talking,J.D.rules.I have a 4200.get the 4300 x-ter ponies.

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #17  
M. Sullivan,

<font color=blue>I'll bet there's not one affected customer who would bad mouth what the co. did for them.</font color=blue>

I can think of one, me./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I have an Explorer that came with the Wilderness ATX tires. I received a notice from Ford to crawl under the car and check the tire codes to see if they were covered by the recall. Nope, only the tires manufactured in the Decater Ill. plant were covered by the recall. This occured at a time, Ford had settled (hush clause) a multimillion dollar lawsuit for a college kid that was killed in an accident with tires built at the same plant as my tires.

This problem was five years old by the time of the first recall. Every piece of information I received from Ford blamed Firestone. I didn't buy a Firestone Car, I bought a Ford car. In Washington subsequent to the first recall, Ford was still putting the Wilderness ATX tires on as spares in new Explorers.

I bailed and bought new tires. The next thing in the saga was the splitting of the sheets between Ford and Firestone and the subsequent second recall. This time all Wilderness tires were covered, including the ones no longer on my car.

The thing that sticks in my craw is CEO Jacques Franks getting on TV and quote "you probably don't have a problem". Who is this guy to role the dice with my family?

I'd probably complain if I was hung with a new rope, but I think you lose your bet.

Al

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #18  
Allen try and make it on demand. You stated the engine temp gauge was at 1/2 way, if you were to put a piece of card board in front of the radiator you might be able to get a faster warm up of the oil and tractor to make it easier for it to happen. I believe you have a faulty relief valve or control valve,those are the most common thing's to give interrmittent service. Everything else you have in the system normally works or it doesn't. It is far easier to fix when the problem can be found. It sounds like if they did find it it would still take some time to see if it was fixed.

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #19  
Just a few thoughts for trying to narrow down the possibilities:

Those who are or have had the steering problem,
FEL installed, try mowing with FEL removed, see if there's a difference.

What tires are you running.

When the steering acts up (when loader installed) lift the front end off the ground and see if steering changes.

When acting up, slowly turn steering wheel one way, then the other. Any difference? any noise or buzzing?

If possible, check ps pump temp, and trans fluid temp.

Pull the trans dipstick note if there's any oil foaming.

Is your 3PH in the fully raised position?

Has anyone had the problem while not mowing and/or with mower removed. Belly or rear mount.

In 4x4 or 2x4? any difference.

Just trying to narrow down why some have the problem and some do'nt, hoping for a common denominator other than heat. Alan seems to be able to produce the problem at will (except for when the right people are there to see it)

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #20  
Good Morning Alan,
We had 2 similar situations as you describe during the past three years.
Same customer ... same tractor.
I was never able to experience the systems when operating the tractor and had to rely 100% on the owners viewpoint.

And do not pretend to know ,for sure,the actual cause of the "sticking, erratic and sometimes binding" symptoms the owner described but I'll be happy to tell you what we did. Things are all OK now with the owner.

It may also help other owners as well.

1. FIRST TIME, we replaced the entire orbital steering control unit... , bleed the system several times to remove all the air pockets.
We were careful to check the new control assy. to insure it was well lubricated INSIDE before installation. We did not want it to DRY at first few seconds of use-- the first time the wheel was turned which could mess up the seals and O-rings .. before the oil was pumped into it.

The original orbital worked just fine at our store, as did the first replacement part..... however ..ater a week... the customer said he could feel an unusual jerky sensation in the steering when mowing with a rotary cutter.

He then report that the only time he had ever felt the symtoms was when he was using that particular implement.

So ... we replaced the orbital again.....
This time, I went to his home and watched him operate the tractor with his rotary cutter... (48" Woods Brand rotary cutter).

He was operating the rotary cutter in 2 positions...
A. .... On uneven or bumpy ground, he would raise the cutter up so that the tail wheel did not roll on the terrain surface.
Therefore the tractor hydraulic system was carrying the payload (cutter) .
It was staving the steering system and with the front of the tractor NOT being as heavy as if the cutter had been rolling instead of being raised.

In this position the tractor was disadvantaged two ways...
Hydraulics were working to raise and carry the full weight of the cutter ... all for many hours and
# 2 .. the front steering and 4wd were disadvantaged because they would light and bouncing a lot due to the counterbalance effect of the raised cutter.

B.
On level ground and driveway right of way cutting...
He would lower the cutter down to so as to allow the tail wheel to just barely skim the surface but, still, not carry any weight. This caused the tail wheel to spin-wiggle-sway-and be in constant motion and quivering all the time. These energies were being transmitted all over the tractor and ... yes all the way to the front end and front tires... Indeed the front tires and axle appeared to have an erratic steering symptom.

This practice/type of operating the rotary cutter had caused severe and premature wear to the bearing and axle of the tail wheels . The extra wear amplified the erratic motions.

The customer was really unaware of the transmissions of these energies throughout his tractor.

Remedy:
1. Never Leave the three point hitch hydraulic control lever in the JAM UP position.
Always push it back towards lower approx. 1/4 inch. This will eliminate the possibility of a mis -adjustment of the lever causing the hydraulic valve/relief valve and pump to work overtime, starve oil from the steering. and overheat relief valves and oils.

2. When using a rotary cutter (or any other similar implements) allow the tail wheel to carry weight.
This will cause it to become a gauging device for cutting height of rear end of cutter ... as well as keep it from doing all the wiggling and gyrating.

3. Use the TOP LINK adjustment on the three point hitch and tail wheel adjustments to level the cutter and to place payload weight on to the tail wheel.

Doing this will also allow the tractor's front end weight and 4wd to assist the steering system and take out the vibrations being transmitted forward by the implement.

These tips caused all the symptoms to disapeared. They have not reoccuured for over a year now.

You should inspect the tractor for any hydraulic lines andtubing that may be bent, crimpled or twisted in such a manner as to restrict oil flow.

None of these issues may solve the symtoms you are experiencing ... but maybe it will help you explore the situation that you have for operating techniques and terrain for help get the FIX.

Good luck,
Steve