Power Steering Problem Not Solved

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
As instructed by Kubota I took my 2710 to the dealer on Tuesday morning. A Kubota technician was there to "(a)make the tractor fail and (b) fix it". Unfortunately he didn't stay long enough to do (a) so he never got to (b). I had stressed to the Kubota service manager for the central region that it takes a long time for the problem to come up - usually a couple of hours at least. The guy mowed 2 hours and quit without experiencing the problem. They also put some kind of device on the hydraulic system that makes it simulate various conditions and it didn't fail there either.

The final word was that "As far as Kubota is concerned we and the dealer have made a reasonable effort and shown that the tractor is operating as it should". I was told that in order for them to consider anything I would have to make it fail.

Guys I'm pissed. You go to the trouble of getting an actual human from Kubota to talk to you and another one to actually look at the tractor and you trailer the thing and take it 30 miles to the dealer you would think they would test the thing until it fails. Why would I go to all that trouble if there isn't a problem? Kubota was interested in making an appearance of being willing to address the problem, but they aren't willing to take the time that it takes to duplicate the problem.

He also said that in all the time I have owned the tractor the dealer was never able to duplicate the problem. Somebody lied, because my dealer did duplicate the problem back in '99 (or at least told me they did), changed the fluids at 58 hours that I had just got through changing at 50 hours, and then continued to experience the problem. I needed the tractor back for the weekend and they promised to come pick it up the following Monday which they never did. In the meantime it never was that hot again that summer and I didn't have the serious problems I had before.

I called the owner of the dealership and he understood my pain, but there's not a lot they can do without Kubota's help. The dealer does not have much control over design flaws that they can't fix. He says he will come to my place personally if I am experiencing the problem, as long as its during business hours /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

Of all the 2710 and 2910 owners on this board that have had the problem I don't recall a single one getting the problem fixed. One of you got some kind of retrofit of an additional flluid line and filter like the 2910, but if understand it correctly, that didn't fix the problem, and the 2910s have the same problem also.

It appears that the problem is rare, but to those of us who have the problem and can't get it fixed it is very disappointing and frustrating.

It is a wonderful tractor otherwise, but I'm now have a really bad taste in my mouth about Kubota's handling of the problem. Because they weren't willing to expend the time needed to duplicate the problem I have continue on my own, with binding steering at 4:00 on Sunday afternoon when there is nobody to call.

Those of you with Kubota tractors that are having this problem would you please email me at gtalumnus@earthlink.net. I am thinking seriously about a class action lawsuit. I think everyone with a 2710 should be given a new M9000 and 200 shares of Kubota stock.

I am seriously fond of this tractor but I'm gonna give it this summer when its real hot. If I can't get anyone down to my place to witness the problem, or they won't otherwise fix it, I will be trading for a John Deere 4200.

Alan L., TX

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #2  
Alan,
I thought of your problem yesterday when I was cutting the grass and the temp. was near 90. I cut the grass for 3 hrs. with no problems, and then drove the tractor in high to see if my B2710 would have the same problems. I'm glad to say that the steering worked flawless with no hint of any trouble. I guess it must be only a few that are effected by this, so I would think it is not a design flaw but a quality control issue. Good luck in getting this fixed.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved
Von: wonna trade?

Alan L., TX

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #4  
Alan,
Thanks for the offer, but you have too many hours on yours! LOL... I hope that you get yours working the way mine does.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #5  
Alan, I can certainly understand your wanting to get it right. That would, indeed, be frustrating, but intermittent problems usually do drive both the owner and service personnel nuts. Mine did it twice, and then never again. Naturally, I'm still always kinda wondering whether it'll do it again or not, but I can't complain about Kubota since I can't even make it do it again myself. I've thought about trying mowing in high range and see if that would make it act up, but I usually mow in mid-range and recently ran it 11.1 hours one day and 9.1 hours the next day doing some heavy grass and weed pasture mowing and it never stuttered once. The only solution the two dealers I've talked to could think of was to change the hydraulic oil filter (they didn't even think it would be necessary to change the fluid). And of course, the last time I changed it, I changed both fluid and filter and went to Amsoil, so I don't know whether the synthetic makes any difference or not.

Bird

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #6  
Hi Alan, I am really sorry to see you are still having problems. If you recall I bought a 2910 last August and it was doing the same thing except I didn't have to run it very long before it acted up. Maybe a half hour and in middle range. My dealer could not duplicate it because they didn't have the manpower to spend driving the tractor for a while to make it act up. I did not want to mess with it since I had a similar problem on my old B2150 after 700 hours. But that was just old age and lots of hard use.

After putting 25 hours on the 2910 I went to the dealer one day and complained (nicely) that I was unhappy about (A) the steering, Kubotas problem. and (B) I just wasn't comfortable driving it after awhile, my problem.

My dealer called the VP for North America and that guy said to make me happy. They took back the 2910 (!!) and I got a L3010HST instead and have been very, very happy ever since. I thought I was going to get the shaft but Kubota was very responsive!! I was seriously thinking of trading for a NH or Deere but really liked the L series and glad I did what I did. A very good friend of mine has a Deere 4300 and has many problems and that scared me too. There are many satisfied and complaint free owners of 29 and 2710's here so you and I and a couple others must have been the exception.

I would say to push Kubota corporate and your dealer harder. I don't know, maybe my dealer has a great relationship with the VP or called in a favor to get the service I did.

I certainly wouldn't blame you for jumping ship though, my heart starting pounding when I read your post and thought about the frustration you must have right now. I would be totally PO'ed too!! Even if they didn't take my 2910 back I would have traded mine for green or blue and taken the big hit on a 25 hour old tractor which was about $2500 but it would have been worth it to not have the frustration.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Brad, Kubota L3010HST, loader, R4 tires
Pictures at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=179207&a=9183978

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #7  
Disappointed to hear how you were treated.....we are all 1 failure mode away from such experiences ourselves. Clearly there is an issue with these...thought I noticed a binding on my 2000 2710 the other day myself. Will keep an eye on it. Hopefully someone higher up the foodchain will read your post and take another shot at it. From what I've read, I'd guess there is definately a problem, likely design (or they would have a fix if it were process). Also guessing they know what it is and are hoping it only occurs on a rare stack-up of events, or resolves itself with age. Either way, they need to protect the customer! Just look at the Ford tire recall...painful, costly, but I'll bet there's not one affected customer who would bad mouth what the co. did for them. Note: Not implying the K issue is a safety issue...

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved
Unfortunately my tractor didn't start acting up until it had 50 hours on it. By then I doubt they would change tractors with me. Besides, I was happy with the tractor otherwise and could not imagine they would not fix it.

I am absolutely convinced there is a file on this at Kubota. Some of our Kubota techs on this board have seen the problem, but I would imagine they fear retaliation from Kubota via their employer to say much about it.

I don't want a JD tractor for my purposes, but everything I have heard says they admit to their problems and get them fixed instead of solving the problem by declaring that it does not exist.

Alan L., TX

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #9  
Just Mow till he gets there !

Alex (B8200/HST/4WD/FEL/MidM/Tiller

/ Power Steering Problem Not Solved #10  
Why don't we all go back to basics and look at all the variables since the people in Atlanta can't get it right.
This is not quite rocket science - It is a tractor .
We are ok when cold but plays up when hot.

If oil viscosity is a problem then those in warmer climates should be experiencing more of a problem - assuming they use the same oil.

If a valve is sticking or not set correctly then the problem will have a wider distribution possibly affecting some models more than others Japan vs USA manufacture.

Accumulate the data, Analyse the problem, formulate a solution. - infortunately those in Kubota Atalanta are unable to do this. (Same method should be used in solving similar tractor problems)