Water in Gas Tank - (not Kubota)

/ Water in Gas Tank - (not Kubota) #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
Forgive me ahead of time for posting this question, but this is the area I spend most of my time in at TBN.

I have a John Deere LX176 that I use for mowing, which is why I did not get the mowing unit for my BX23. I had difficulty with this mower for the fall season, changed the gas filter, plug and then it quit all together. The local shop that services the unit said the gas tank had a lot of water in it.
The sealed gas cap is covered (under the mower seat) and the gas containers are kept in a dry garage.

I purchased the gas at a local Gulf Station that has been having price wars with another back to back gas station. Is it possible they are adding water to the gas.

I get my diesel from a Mobile Station for the BX.

Thanks

/ Water in Gas Tank - (not Kubota) #2  
I doubt they would intentionally add water to the tank but it could have gotten in the tank by accident, such as a flood or a very hard rain while one of the fill caps on the tank was open.

Then, again you may have gotten the 'dregs' from the bottom of the tank or it could be that the station doesn't sell much gas and it sits in their tanks for a long time. Gas station tanks have a breather on them and it can suck air with moisture into the breather. I think the newere stations have a better breather system to keep moisture out but if is an old station their system my not be up to current standards or broken. Vandalism at the station could be another source of water.

Bill Tolle

/ Water in Gas Tank - (not Kubota) #3  
Maybe they got a shipment with water in it. I have seen this happen. Ask the station owners about it. But you will need to know when you bought the gas from them.

/ Water in Gas Tank - (not Kubota)
Newly remodeled Gulf Gas Station (1 year ago) in Connecticut with about 24 pumps and they are always always busy.