B2400 4WD noise

/ B2400 4WD noise #1  

JimM

Tractor
Kubota M7030 3Pt.blade, Cary chipper-shredder,moldbd plow
Ihave a B2400 that we are using to build a new house and during the back filling of the foundation a noise has developed when using the 4WD. The noise can't be heard when on the tractor but when you are away from it.
The noise is similiar to a dry bearing; all fluids on front and rear axles check OK. The noise disappears as soon as 4WD is disengaged. It seems to be getting more prevelant in that the noise will be almost constant when the tractor is moving. The noise when first noticed was like at a particular spot when the wheels were turning; now it is almost during the constant revolution of the wheel. One Kubota mech suggested it might be the boot on the 4WD shaft rubbing. I will have to trailer it about 60 miles to the dealer for the nonwarranty work.. Any help would be appreciated. thanks JimM

/ B2400 4WD noise #2  
JimM,
I don't know it the B2400 is made this way but,,,,Look at the front drive shaft cover. The drive shaft that goes from the transmission to the front end has a protective cover. This cover has a retaining bolt. The bolt has been known to come loose and let the cover drag on the driveshaft.

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ B2400 4WD noise
Thanks Jerry for the suggestion. I will check it out soon. Finished most of the backfilling Sat. and noticed the noise still persists; sometimes intermittantly tho. JimM

/ B2400 4WD noise #4  
Can you lift the front end off the ground and while in 2wd mode, rotate the front wheels by hand? Doing so, with the engine off, might help locate where the noise is coming from.

Peter

/ B2400 4WD noise
PKS, I will try that but as soon as I shift to 2WD the noise disappears. I also thought about raising the tractor up on jack stands and while in 4WD see if the noise is heard. Tnx for suggestion. JimM