Ballast When do you need front weights?

/ When do you need front weights? #1  

Scrounger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
On a BX2230 can you run a 300 to 400 pound rear attachment without the FEL or front weights on it? I specifically talking about rear box blades and heavy aerators. A good wheelie is fun, but only on my dirtbikes. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ When do you need front weights? #2  
Since you have a FEL you should be OK. If it starts to feel light you can always scoop up some dirt to add weight...

My BX2200 does feel light in the front if I have something on the back, and do a quick reverse to forward transition. I don't have a FEL or front weights, but I do have about 40 lbs of foam in each front tire.

In your case all should be fine.

Edit: I see you were asking about NOT having the FEL on... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As I indicated above, with about 80 lbs on the front of my BX, and only a light duty rear blade or 6' landscape rake on the back, mine feels VERY light in the front sometimes. I would expect with 400 lbs on the 3PH you will not like what goes on at least part of the time...

/ When do you need front weights? #3  
Kubota recommends the use of front ballast when using certain implements or attachments such as the grass bagger. I have never seen any BX tractors with front weights in person, but I have seen some in pictures. I know that Kubota makes a front suitcase weight holder for the all BX series and a separate one for the BX22/23 tractor. I have no idea of how they differ, but am guessing that the BX22/23 model takes into consideration the factory installed BX brush guard. Here is a picture that I got off the internet a year ago. It might have even been TBN.... just don't recall..

Attachments

• 586991-weights (600 x 450).jpg
    586991-weights (600 x 450).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 260
   / When do you need front weights? #4  
This picture is of the BX with front weights and the European Style grass catcher. I learned that the grass catcher is manufactured in the USA, however it isn't available for sale in the USA. The comments ranged from "it is too expensive" to "it doesn't come off once installed".. Guess that these two reasons are enough for them to only market over seas. Another interesting fact is that the BX comes in a 2 wheel drive model for the European Market, but that isn't offered in the US, but it is manufactured here for shipment across the pond. Notice the item in this picture is the Kubota rear view mirror... seems like a interesting addition if you care to see where you have been. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 586995-FrontWeights.gif
    586995-FrontWeights.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 240
   / When do you need front weights? #5  
Matt,

I do not use front weights or a FEL when I use the Kioti 4' aerator or First Choice 4' tiller. I have not had any problems keeping the front wheels on the ground, or feel that the front is light at all.

/ When do you need front weights? #6  
I was just thiniking...dangerous I know... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The time you most likely are going to need the weight on the front is when a heavy implement is off the ground in transport, not when it is on the ground doing work...

/ When do you need front weights? #7  
<font color="blue">Notice the item in this picture is the Kubota rear view mirror... </font>

I've noticed the rear view mirror on many of the UK tractors. I'm thinking it may be a mandatory item in the UK, just like the ROPS.

Don