CHeapest Tiller for BX?

/ CHeapest Tiller for BX? #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
I need to till a small garden this year for me, and my parents and brother live close and suggested we go together and buy one. Well, I'm inclined to think that a small push tiller would probably be so much cheaper than a tractor tiller (and given my modest needs)... BUT - Is there a tractor tiller for the BX that is super cheap?

/ CHeapest Tiller for BX? #2  
Man, my Kubota tiller is great - I wouldn't do the cheapo thing, you still get what you pay for, and in a tiller, you want some meat behind you.
My two cents.

/ CHeapest Tiller for BX? #3  
I looked at TSC for one for my BX2230 and they ran about $1100 last fall.

/ CHeapest Tiller for BX? #4  
rOGuE, Something to think about for me is how much tilling has to be done and can you reach the whole area with a 3ph tiller or would 5-6hp rear tine do it better?

A 42-48" 3ph tiller will cost around $1k where as an eighteen 18" rear tine will cost $600 but then you have one more engine to change oil in and maintain , and it will take longer but you can use it just about anywhere flower beds etc. narrow areas. Can't do that with a big 3ph unit.

Super cheap ?? you get what you pay for... King kutter is probably what I would get for the most bang for the buck.
They are pretty stout machines with heavy tines ,if you look at some other brands and see the spindley tines they would probably wear very quickly requiring replacement far too soon /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ CHeapest Tiller for BX? #7  
I have a 32" Muratori MZ2S85 which was about $1K. It runs well and is a perfect match for the BX. I'd echo the remarks above. One advantage is that you don't have another engine to maintain. One disadvantage is that you can't get into small garden spaces; it's primarily for tilling a larger open space.

/ CHeapest Tiller for BX? #8  
With tillers you get what you pay for.... a 10 year old Troy Built walk behind tiller is still worth $1000 unless it is beat to death. A new one is about $2500 and has a whole lot of safety features that some people hate. A inexpensive one is not going to last very long. The fellow that purchased my old Troy Built went through a tiller every two years when he was buying the cheap ones at Sears and HD. He has had my old one for the past 4 years and says that it still works like new. The deal that I made with him was that I could use it when ever needed after he bought it. The last time that I had it, I gave it some touch up painting and he said that it will not work as well... old paint give it character.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I offered to fill the tank with old gas to make up for my indescressions.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ CHeapest Tiller for BX? #9  
I just bought a used Yanmar 48" tiller for my BX22. It's not pretty, but it works. I paid $400. I've already used it to till my garden area [~~30 x 40 ft] & it is MUCH easier & certainly more fun than the walk behind put-puts. I still have a Craftsman 17" 6 hp tiller that I will probably sell. If I have a super-small area to till, I'll use the tiller attachment that fits on my weed eater.

/ CHeapest Tiller for BX? #10  
Don't those Yanmar tillers have a different, less aggressive kind of tines? Will they till as well as the other tillers? If so, $400 sounds like a heck of a deal.