GST Transmissions

/ GST Transmissions #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
As the prior owner of two HST transmissions, which I really liked, I will now be migrating to GST. From what I've read, it sounds great and will pair nicely with the L39.

-If you are a GST owner can you try to explain what digging into a pile of material will entail.....I have an idea of the physical process, but I believe there are some gaps in my understanding of exactly what happens from approach to dumping the load and backing away for another. Exactly where and when do your hands, arms, legs and feet come into play?

-Also, what particular feature or technique of GST that you enjoy?

This isn't meant to be a GST vs. HST thread -Negative GST input is not necessary due to the fact that I'll figure that out on my own /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ GST Transmissions #2  
This sounds like a generic answer but it really depends on the situation and whether or not you feel like using the clutch. Remember, the clutch is always optional. The only time you really need to use it is if you plan on coming to a complete stop.
Ill try to go through a basic loader scenario by memory.
Going into a pile of material I usually have it in 3rd (give or take a gear either way), I set my hand throttle for about 1200RPMs (this varies also) and I can generally leave it alone after that. Thats enough to keep it from stalling. If Im pushing hard into something, my right foot is always covering the foot throttle for a quick burst of power as I need it to push into a pile of material or for going up grades. In the lower gears and with the foot throttle, the tractor will loose traction before stalling so that not a problem. Once Im as deep as I can go, or want to go, I let off the foot throttle some and flip the shuttle at the same time and back out while raising the loader. As I head out to dump my load, I can shift up through the gears at will, depending on how fast I want to travel. As I near my dump area, I will let the tractor compression slow me (sometimes I use the right foot on the brake to slow me down faster) and I will down shift down through the gears accordingly. If Im just going to dump quickly and not loiter, I just come to a quick stop and shuttle back while Im dumping. If I want to be more precise, I push the clutch in and come to a stop to dump. The same goes with scooping a load, to be more precise, push use the clutch with my left foot and the brake with my right to come to a stop. If I have to do that, I will usually go down a gear or two with my left hand while Im stopped or stopping just for the slower speed.
Thats the long explanation. The short of it is.
For basic loader work, after you set the gear you want and set your hand throttle up alittle, all you really need to do is shuttle with your left hand and keep your RPMs up with your right foot. The rest (gear selection) is just a matter of setting your speed and starting and stopping (same as with any geared tractor).

/ GST Transmissions #3  
Jim, on our L-3130 GST with LA723 FEL. I usually engage 4WD (on dirt soil surface) and use 3rd or 4th gear to power into a pile of topsoil, buliders sand, small rocks, etc until the bucket is getting filled (could easily use 5th or 6th for something light like wood chips) and then shift into reverse and back out. Once backed out, depending on how far to transport the load is, either stay in same gear for close-in or start off in 7th to move out and away shifting up to 10th or so. Depending on how precise the drop-off is, leave it in whatever gear you arrive in and dump or downshift to 4th, 5th or 6th for precise placement of the load.

The GST is super easy to work with, basically you utilize gears 1-6 for close-in work and gears 7-12 for transportation out away from the work site. Very rarely do I use the clutch except perhaps to feather it in really tight situations in low gear or when taking off from a stop loaded in a much higher gear like 8-10.

/ GST Transmissions
You just bang it back and forth from forward to reverse as required, I must say that seems strange....to just throw it in reverse while you're traveling forward.

It looks like the F / R lever is on the dash on the L39 and we'll be using our left hand to change direction. I seems you find it easy to do. I'd guess I'll have to use the clutch to pick up big rocks or logs, etc???

Many good things have been said about Kubota's GST and it sounds like you enjoy using the transmission. I sure hope I do too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ GST Transmissions #5  
No need to clutch just to go from forward to reverse. I wouldnt be cruising in 6th gear and just pull the reverser back though /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Slow down to a crawl or at least walking speed (which you should be to fill the loader anyway) and pull up on and flip the shuttle lever into the neutral position, when your forward motion has all but stopped, go into reverse, your hand doesnt even need to come completely off the steering wheel.
Truth is that I still use the clutch most of the time just because it feels right to me and seems like it gives me more control. For what I do with my tractor, the big advantage of the GST over an FST or even a HST is that I dont have to stop to choose a range. I know that the HST people will argue the point but I still think that for simply moving material from point "A" to point "B", the GST can do it just as efficiently and more so if you have any distance to cover (see no ranges). Thats only my opinion so disagreeing is fine. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif