Hydrostatic Transmission help

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #1  

fireman649

Tractor
Kubota B7100HST Diesel 4x4
I just purchased a B7100 HST 4x4 diesel tractor. It only moved in low gear, but not enough power to climb a trailer. I just changed the filters on both sides of the transmission and the spin on filter on the top. I replaced the fluid with kubota udt, it still does not move in high gear, you can hear it trying to go, and fell it trying, but it won't. It does move better now in low gear, but still not a whole lot of power. The front hydraulics for the bucket work perfectly, the bucket moves in all directions without any jerking, and the pto and 3 point all work correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there a bleeder valve to bleed air out after filling? I jacked up the rear and ran it, and all seems fine, but put it on the ground in high and it won't move. Thanks in advance. Also, the filters on the sides were quite dirty.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #2  
Hello Firemen649 and welcome to TBN. It would be helpful to most TBNers for you to fill in your bio so that we have a better idea of where you fit into the grander scheme of things. I don't know how familiar you are with hydrostatic transmissions but this is one area where less equals more - by that I mean that less pedal equals more torque and vice-versa. So if you want the most torque but not much speed then just ease the pedal down a bit. If you want high speed and low torque, put the pedal to the metal. Most Kubota reference manuals have good descriptions and diagrams of how hydrostatic transmissions work. My F2400 will not climb major hills in high range but will go almost anywhere in low range. Is this the kind of problem you ar having or is it something more specific? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #3  
Even in high range your 7100 should easily climb up on a trailer. I have a steep draw in my backyard that was mowed in high and tractor barely slowed for it.
Your bucket and three point hydraulics are semi independent of the hydro. The main hydraulic pump only supplys flow for the charge pump on the hydro which in turn provides the oil for the multi piston pumps for the drive and driven side of the hydro. It sounds as though you may have a relief valve for the hydro unit stuck. Does it act the same in forward and reverse? Might be time to have a Kub mechanic give it a little diagnostic time( Yeah, I know, EXPENSIVE but the best way to get to the heart of the problem if nothing simple fixes it!)

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #4  
I'd say take it to a dealer for a look, and the sooner the better from the sounds of it. You could be doing more damage by trying to run it in a high gear.

You did what you can easily do by changing the filters and hydro oil. Now it's time for somebody who knows what they're doing to have a look.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #5  
parking break on? Don't laugh I have done it

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( parking break on? Don't laugh I have done it )</font>

I have done it MANY times! If I don't have it set hard I can drive with it on but am really short on power. Did it on my B7100 and still doing it on the B7510.

Wonder if he drove it before he bought it? If he did and it pulled OK then it is most likely the parking brake.

Bill Tolle

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #7  
How much free travel on your clutch pedal? Should be 3/4 to 1 1/4". If tight, you may have to adjust. Your clutch may be slipping.

OrangeGuy

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help
That's what I strted to think last night, about the clutch maybe slipping, have to work tomorrow, so I'll check it on Friday. The parking brake is not set. I understand about how the hst works and about the pedal, but thats not the problem. In high gear, it does not move at all, it tries, but nothing. In low gear, it moves fine on level ground, but going up a little hill or digging into a pile it stops as soon a sit hits any resistance. Thanks for the replies.

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #9  
If there is someone that can help you for a minute, engage the PTO and make your tractor bog down, if your tractor stops moving and your pto stops as well then your problem is the clutch. That is the most likely scenario. Good Luck, Tractorman

/ Hydrostatic Transmission help #10  
You might want to check for a partial clogged exhaust. It's one of the most difficult problems to diagnose since everything runs fine on level ground till you hit a resistance like a hill or a load. Then the power level drops 10 fold. Easiest way I've discovered is to partially disconnect the exhaust manifold so exhaust gases are unrestricted and then road test (may be a little loud). If it climbs the trailer then viola! Most common cause is a baffle within the exhaust system has broken off and is restricting the flow of exhaust. Sometimes the inner layer of the laminated exhaust pipe separates and folds. Don't operate unit with a separated exhaust over a prolong period or you may develop other serious problems, such as a warpped exhaust valve. It's for testing only and should be sealed back after the road test.