Tires BH and loaded tires ... Why not??

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #1  

Volnavy

Bronze Member
Tractor
L 3400 HST
The manual for the BH75 backhoe says not to load the tires when you have the BH installed. Does anyone know why?

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #2  
Weight. It probably gets to the point were the advantage (or sometimes disadvantage) of having ballasted tires on the rear with the additional weight of a hoe has a negative effect to the tractors ability to do work based on engine HP and front/rear weight. I know loading the tires on my L3830 has an effect on how well my tractor can climb hills in a giving RPM which is why I don't load them.

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #3  
I don't know why... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I wonder why they don't just tell us the reason, otherwise we may just ignore their recommendation... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have a B2910, which the B3030 replaces and which is about the same size. I assume you are talking about a B3030 since the BH75 is new and may be intended for the B series (not sure if it is optional on the L series or not).

Anyway, I choose to fill the rear tires on my B2910 and have not noticed a reason not to when using it with the backhoe on.

I am sure Rat is correct, that the extra weight must make hill climbing harder, but that has not been a problem for me. I rarely use high range though, and mostly keep it in mid range.

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #4  
Regarding ballast, I swear by it. Never liked using a tractor loader without the extra weight, plus the added traction is superior. Regarding the back hoe, who can take their ballast in and out when they want to? Not me, so I just leave it in.

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #5  
The BX23 manual states the same.

I think it is either a weight issue or perhaps they are trying to avoid a serious blowout if the rears are loaded past 75% full w/fluid. In another section it shows a schematic of a tire with & without room for the liquid to expand when the tire gets compressed, such as when rolling over a large object.

In my not-so scientific observations, I noticed the HST hardly whines with the BH off. Doesn't matter flatland or hilly.

Since I had went on ahead and had rear tire's loaded before I took delivery, I don't know how it would operate without the ballast in the rear tires but so far I haven't encountered any adverse performance etc., so I'm going to run 'em loaded w/the BH.

The dealer didn't give it a 2nd thought when I asked him to load 'em up btw., and he did load them up to approx 75% w/ liquid.

So IMHO, it must either be a weight or tire expansion issue.

Volfandt

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #6  
Just like Henro, my B2910 has fluid fill tires. I have a Great Bend back hoe, but it is usually not on the tractor. Every time the BH has been used, it has been on relatively flat ground, for the most part the tractor is used as a front loader and for that, fluid fill in the tires is an advantage. I would also assume _RaT_ is probably correct, but it would sure be nice to know what the real reason is.

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #7  
I have loaded tires on my B7300 and I use it like that all the time with my Woods BH. Works fine for me that way, don't think the manual says not to. Different beastie than yours though...

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #8  
The tractor will be more stable with fluid in the rear tires. The backhoe won't pull the tractor around as much while you are digging either. You will also get the benefit of having counterweight on the rear end when your backhoe is removed not to mention it beiing a good safety factor.

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #9  
<font color="blue"> The manual for the BH75 backhoe says not to load the tires when you have the BH installed. Does anyone know why?
</font>
The reason that I saw in a post here on TBN (cannot find post) is weight of BH, tractor and loaded tires exceeded weight limit of the ROP's. I would not want to find that my ROP's collapsed because I exceeded weight limit that it can support. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ BH and loaded tires ... Why not?? #10  
I just recently switched from turf to AG tires on my BX1500. The main reason I did this was because I found I didn't have the desired traction while plowing thick, heavy, wet snow. I did have rear weights on the turfs, but fund the rear tires (and fronts) still slipped on some of the snow. My dealer filled the AG's without second guessing my request. I tried them out on a storm we had earlier this week and the performance increased by at least 100%...no slippage what so ever and still had plenty of power from the engine. In fact, I was running at 50% throttle (still in the break in period...only 38 hours!). I also had a Woods BH6000 installed. Neither Woods or Kubota recommends installing any kind of BH on the BX1500, but my dealer felt with the liquid ballast added to all four tires, I should not see much of a performance issue, as the 4 point hook up from Woods mounts directly to the frame of the tractor, thus the added weight increases performance. However, I am not sure if the ROPS is rated for the additional 150+ lbs from the ballasts and the additional 650 lbs from the BH.