BX23 won't start

/ BX23 won't start #1  

16valex

Silver Member
Tractor
bx23
BX23 won\'t start

Folks,

it is snowing like ****, and my BX23 is not turning over at all when try to start. I believe that the problem is lied in the safety circuitry. It could be either the PTO or the neutral switch. I would like to check these switches with a Volt meter, but very difficult to get at. Does any body know the the test points for these switches where I can access them??

Could it be the seat switch, I don't think so because the instruction doesn't mention it?

There's nothing wrong with the starter at all, because if I by pass the safety circuit by sending juice directly to the starter it will start right up.

Thank you for your help.

Alex

/ BX23 won't start #2  
Re: BX23 won\'t start

Check your PTO lever. I have had a couple of times when my B7510 would not turn over and both times I had accidentally hit the PTO lever and moved it a little, not enough to actually engage the PTO but enough to trip the safety switch.

Bill Tolle

/ BX23 won't start #3  

Wiggle the PTO lever while you have the switch in the start position. If the starter catches, you know that it is that switch. If not, then do the same thing with the hydro lever.. the one with the rabbit and the turtle markings... It is one or the other, but I doubt both. Usually it is a lever that isn't fully seated in the neutral position holding the switch open. If you get it started, after you clean up around your home, come over to mine... it is too cold out there for me to do it..... I need someone that doesn't mind the cold to help... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX23 won't start #4  

I had the same problem. Even when the pto lever was in the
correct position, it did not push down far enough on the
switch to allow the engine to start. I took a 1" piece of green
garden hose and slid it over the lever where it pushes on the
switch and now it works fine. Then I put some silicone around
the edges to make sure it would not slide off over time.

Mike

/ BX23 won't start #5  

Check your hydro pedal. This happened to me last summer - one day I was using the BX23 and I hopped off to move something and the thing died. I tried to start it and it started up and then the next time I hopped off the tractor it died again and would not start. Since it would not start it sat out there until I called the dealer the next morning. The dealer said they could not get the service truck out until a day or so later. I came home that night and went around checking all the switches and moving the hydro pedal back and forth and then tried to start the tractor again and it started. And it has never done that again. To this day I still don't know for sure what it was that caused it not to start but nearest I can figure the hydro pedal was stuck and would not return to neutral - so when I hopped off it died and would not start again. I swear that I had checked all that but who knows.

/ BX23 won't start #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe that the problem is lied in the safety circuitry )</font>
That appears to be the culprit, but which one i have no clue, as otheres have stated , try starting it(holding key in start pos.) and move all the levers and see what happens.

/ BX23 won't start #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you get it started, after you clean up around your home, come over to mine... it is too cold out there for me to do it..... I need someone that doesn't mind the cold to help...
)</font>

Junkman : I HEARD PINE RIDGE IS ON HIS WAY /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ BX23 won't start #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Junkman : I HEARD PINE RIDGE IS ON HIS WAY /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )</font>

I doubt it..... we have been down a rocky road this week and I doubt that he is even talking to me. Peace.......peace at last... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX23 won't start

Folks,

Here is what I have done so far, wiggled the PTO and the gear selector levers about 50 times. I even wedged a flat srew driver at the switches to make sure that they go as fas as they can go but ne help.

I think the PTO switch is stuck but this is only a guess, the reason I'm guessing that the PTO switch is because every time I try to get off the tractor the engine will die right away with the PTO at the OFF possition. This had never happened before. Could this be the seat switch has gone bad??? And how to I check if the Hydraulic pedal is in neutral? And this matter to my problem??

Like I said before, I can still start it by sending juice directly to the starter but this method is very inconvenient.

I need to get to the PTO switch to check and see if it toggle, but it is to cold to work on it right now.

Hey Junkman, I would love to give you a hand but I don't think the tractor will make it there from Greenbush NY. By the way, did you watch the Uconn girls beat Rutger today??

Thanks again and please keep the ideas coming, I really appreciated.

Alex

/ BX23 won't start #10  

It must be the PTO switch if it dies when you get off the seat and the engine is running. Take the wifes hair drier and see if you put some heat on the switch area if it might help. I am thinking that if some water got into the switch, it might be frozen and that is the problem. The other thing is you could put a weight in the seat when you get off the tractor after it is running.. If you can unplug the switch, then use a paper clip to jump the two wires until the dealer can fix it for you.