Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different #1  

CurtisB

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
Ok guys and gals, it is time for me to spring for that tractor that I have been wanting to purchase for quite some time. I am seriously thinking about the BX23. I got several prices on both and here is what I have:

BX23 with bar and turfs, High-Cap Alternator, 60"MMM
Dealership #1 - $17400
Dealership #2 - $17800
Dealership #3 - $18700

Dealership #3 is the closest but I think I am going to go with dealership #1. Problem is, nobody has a BX23 available.

So, the quandery. I am going to be maintaining 1.5 acres currently but hope to buy and build again on 5 acres within a few years. We just built our house and just moved in last weekend. The jobs that I have to do, which are many, are final grade and seed approx 3/4 acre, other 3/4 acre is woods, plant trees, remove stumps, move boulders, put in paver patio and walkways, trench for drainage, etc. Lots of things to do. Do you think the BX23 backhoe portion is worth having in this case? I may be in luck and the #1 dealer may have one end of this month. I cannot afford to wait until middle May when the others say they can get me a BX23.

Just a few general questions in regards to both the 23 & 2230. Will they both work well running a tiller to till up my soil and also using a box blade? Should I be looking at buying something with position control on the 3pt? Problem is that I don't want a tractor that weighs a ton either because I need to mow with it as well.

Any and all advice appreciated.
Curtis

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different #2  
My dealer explained to me that the difference between the two models is that they put a thicker frame on the BX23 to support the backhoe, other than that they are supposedly the same tractor. Both have the std 540 RPM rear PTO and category 1 3pt hitch so any standard attachment will work.

Personally, I love my backhoe and could never be happy without one again. Do I use it that often? No. But I'm very greatful to have it for that occasional trench or digging out tree stumps.
I dug a 4 ft deep trench for a waterline to an outbuilding in a few hours that would have taken 6 months to dig by hand. If you can swing it, go for the backhoe!

Mike

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different #3  
Your reasons for getting the BX23 are the same as mine. I bought my BX22 in August, 2003, and it has fit the bill so far. I don't have a tiller or box blade yet, but the BX is pretty darn powerful, so I don't think these devices would be a problem if sized appropriately (48" would be about right).

The BH has been a godsend. I've ripped out trees, bushes and sidewalks, dug drain trenches 2' deep, and all with no problem. It's also great for transplanting landscaping without a whole lot of root damage. I plan on using it to dig a foundation for a garage, too.

My BX22 was about $1100.00 cheaper ($16,300.00), but I didn't get a second set of rims or the high output alternator (which would account for about $500.00 of that difference).

Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different #4  
Not sure if those prices are good or not. I know tractor prices vary by area of the country because of transportation costs, demand etc. I know that I paid $16,500 last July for my BX23 up here in New England (where the prices tend to be high). That price included loaded bar tires, high amp alternator, 50 hour service kit, a toothbar for the FEL, 12" bucket, and delivery. I could have gotten the tractor for about $500 less buying from one of the out-of-state dealers like Emerichs' but I chose to go local.

As far as getting the backhoe I would say yes you will use it and appreciate it. Other people will have other opinions and I am biased because I have one but I think if you look at the cost of renting vs. cost of buying and you have a lot of jobs to do you will get darn close to the cost of the backhoe. I know having the backhoe sitting out there ready to use at a moments notice is invaluable to me. I got a lot of work done that I wouldn't have gotten done simply by having the hoe around when I needed it vs. having to go thru all the work of renting every time I needed one. Every person's situation is different however and this is something you will need to evaluate for your own situation.

My BX23 works great with the Woods GBC48 box blade that I got for it. It will bog down if you fill up the blade and/or hit big rocks or roots. I have however dislodged some pretty big rocks from the ground with the box blade that the bucket would not pry out.

I have to say however that if I had more land than what I currently have (only 1/2 acre) I would probably go with a bigger tractor like that has some upgraded capabilities. If you look at the Kubota line the tractor that I think would be the next logical step up would be the B7610. The specs on the B7510 are not that much higher than the BX23. If you hope to buy and build again within 5 years however I think I would be looking at the new B2630 / B3030 tractors or something similar. I really like the more integrated backhoe on these tractors - it is like the BX23 hoe - over the subframe hoe that goes on the B7510/B7610. Plus this tractor has significantly more capability than the BX or the smaller B series. The B3030 would however be more money and I don't think the dealers even have them in stock yet so it is probably going to be a couple of months before they are in.

Have you thought about maybe doing something like getting a new or used B20 or B21 for the heavy work and then getting a BX or some type of dedicated mowing machine for doing the mowing?

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different #5  
Curtis,

Think about adding a block heater and hooks on the FEL. I think the BX23 will do what you want and more, EXCEPT moving bolders. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I have a 4' tiller, works fine. Just remember things will take a bit longer then with a larger machine, and you will be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy shopping

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different
Tom,

I guess the boulders are not necessarily boulders according to some people's standards. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They are large rocks about 2' diameter and about 3' long. I think I can move those with the loader although it will be a challenge...

Curtis

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different #7  
2 ft x 3 ft might be right on the edge of what the BX can handle but you should be able to move them. I have gotten some pretty big rocks into the FEL on my BX23. If the pile wasn't covered in snow I could show you my rockpile so you could get an idea of how large a rock can be moved with the BX. Moving rocks however is one of the reasons why I mentioned maybe looking at something a little bit bigger in my previous post. After using the BX for about 190 hours now there has been a few times when I wished that the FEL had some more lift capability - most of those times were when I was trying to move a big rock that was right on the edge of the capabilities of the BX - that little extra would have helped a lot.

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different #8  
Curtis,

Get the BX23 - in your situation, you'll find plenty of use for the backhoe. I'm in a similar situation, except I bought an old house that we are doing a major renovation to. I've had to remove most of the 30 year old landscaping, dig out concrete the previous owner buried all over the property (as landscape features /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif), and plant trees, shrubs, etc.

Because my neighbor has a BX22, I didn't buy a backhoe (didn't seem to make sense after talking to him about my plans), but I have used his plenty - he loves when I pay him with a 12 pack of Microbrew after each use /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. We now expect that we will be moving within a year after this big improvement project is finished, and doing something similar all over again (I'm a glutten for punishment, but there's very good money in doing that around here). I've come to realize that when I do move and start this process again, and no longer have a small backhoe at my disposal, based on the amount of use I've made of the BX22 so far, I'll need to buy the Woods hoe for my machine.

So definitely get the BX23. Since you already think you will need the backhoe, I guarantee that when you have it, you'll find even more uses for it than you can now imagine.

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different
Hi Jim,

Thanks, I wouldn't mind pursueing the purchase of a B2630 although I fear it might be to big for mowing my grass otherwise it would definitely be ordered. I like the idea of a larger tractor and the PC on the 3pt. Coming from a farming family, tractors are fun!!!

Curtis

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. BX23 vs. something different #10  
Greetings, those prices look alittle high but not out of the ball park. It's interesting that they're all pretty close. Must be the demand has outgained the supply now. Theres many folks buying those BX23's now. They are a great little machine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was in a smlar quandry back n Dec. I liked the B7510 and was compareing it to the BX2230. I've pretty much tamed my property but still have many digging projects to do. Most are not gotta-do's, just wanna-do's. When it came down to the 11th hr I finally took a seat on the BX23 and was instantly sold! I didn't know how much I'd use the BH but felt I would find uses for it. I have! I've hauled large rocks, implements, heavy stock, dug out many stumps, transplanted many small saplings etc. The BH can be mounted and/or dismounted in a few minutes and I've made a small dolly to wheel it around out of the way so when I need to use it, it's nothing to drive up and mount it. Same w/ the FEL. Same for the MMM!

I plan on useing it more for mowing and the floating MMM was the prime reason I stayed in the BX line. My back 40 resembles more of a pasture (what it was) than a lawn so I felt a floating mower would better handle it's ruts, valleys etc.

So far, with only 21 hrs, I'm very happy with it. I've got it set up for mowing now but can do a quick change in minutes if needed.
If it lives up to only 2/3rds of the praise it's receved for it's mowing prowness, I'll still be be very happy in it's performance.
Yeah, I'm based, the BX23 should work fine for you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
do a search on the BX22/23, theres plenty of info out there.

Volfandt