Ballast filling rear tires ?

/ filling rear tires ? #1  

vulcan101

Tractor
kubota L2800
on my L2800dt my dealer recomended filling the rear tire with water and anti freeze for better balance when installing and using the front end loader.i usually always have a box blade or my finish mower hanging on the rear for ballast.so my question is,do i still need to add water to the tires and is it worth it in the long run.

Attachments

• 602398-tractor (7).JPG
    602398-tractor (7).JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 658
   / filling rear tires ? #2  
I have the rear tires filled on my BX and it makes a big difference in stability and for pushing the loader into piles of dirt. Everyone has there own preference, and this is my experience. It will increase your comfort lever immensely, and lower the pucker factor also..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ filling rear tires ? #3  
I have the BX 2230 with a box blade, FEL and my 300# arse in the seat. I am pretty sure that I am going to load mine. I have spent some time stunt driving my tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ filling rear tires ? #4  
Sweet picture! Nice tractor, green grass.... sure beats staring out the window at this snow coming down.

My dealer recommended filling my tires for FEL use in place of using rear ballast and so far , I've not needed any additional ballast with the loads I pick up. Sure makes it nice for maneuvering without having a lengthy implement hanging off the back.
Most of my snow plowing is now done in 2WD, also, which makes steering easier.

Did I mention how much I like that picture? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ filling rear tires ? #5  
Hey Vulcan, boy thats one nice looking tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Is it a shuttle shift?

You know as far as filling tires go, it sure can't hurt. I filled mine myself for just the cost of the fluid (windshield washer at $.94/gal) the only real drawback I can see is if you're in an area where flat tires is a problem, like having old boards or nails hidden in the grass. If not, than its probably a good idea. My tractor is about the same size as yours and it feels a little more stable with filled tires.

/ filling rear tires ? #6  
I have a B7510 with R4's and always have a 4' box blade on the back. I work in the dirt a lot clearing woods and found that I was spinning the rear tires a lot even with the differential lock engaged.

I put 2 gallons of regular antifreeze and finished filling to 75% with water. Freezing weather is not a problem here so 2 gallons was enough. Now, I can bog the engine down before the tires will spin most of the time. Made a big difference for me.

At worst, I would have been out about $35 for 4 gallons of antifreeze, $9 for the fill adapter, and $8 for a cheap plastic pump plus an hour of my time. Well worth it even if it had not worked out. If you wanted to try it you could just use water and see if you like it and add the anti freeze later so it would cost you less than $20 to find out.

Bill Tolle

/ filling rear tires ?
thanks all for the responces and i think i will let the dealer fill the tires when he does my 50hr service i only have 31hours on it now.he will do it for $50.00 and that seems cheap enough and i wont have to buy any pumps etc.
and thanks for the compliments on the tractor,i have only had it a couple of months but seems to be all i need for general work.great forum here ,thanks all.

/ filling rear tires ? #8  
Filling your rears will greatly improve your traction.

/ filling rear tires ? #9  
I know that filling the tires (Kubota 4330 HST) will help me with my FEL. But If I do not use the FEL a lot & Mow (brush cutting) a LOT will I loose fuel millage or will there be not much loss. I have AG Tires if that matters.

/ filling rear tires ? #10  
www.rimguard.com

It may be more expensive, but it is totally safe, will not freeze, and non corrozive. Also 10.7#/gallon.

If your dealer uses calcium chloride you stand a high risk of total rim rot if it ever leaks/interfaces with oxygen or is spilled during filling.