BX23 Maintenance Questions

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #1  

CurtisB

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
Ok, well now that I am soon to be a new BX23 owner I have a few questions. I currently run Mobil 1 Delvac synthetic oil in my diesel pickup. At what point can I switch my BX over to Mobile 1 Delvac as well? Do I need to wait for the 50hr service and let the dino oil do it's thing or can I change it over after 25-30hrs?

I like the Delvac strictly because of the longer change intervals as well as the synthetic for the cold so I would like to change ASAP. And, with the little amount of oil that the Bota holds, it is not really a cost issue.

Any other issues I should be concerned with as far as the maintenance goes?

Curtis

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #2  
The only concern I would have would be warranty issues. If I were you, I would send an email to Kubota and ask whether or not they have approved any of the synthetic engine oils for use.

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #3  
Curtis

I change all my engines to synthetic as soon as they are “home” regardless of hours/miles. As I have stated before it will take longer for ring seating and high Noack levels; but on the flip side I will have less wear.

I would change now but that is me and my opinion.

***Here is a virgin sample test of Delvac (thank to BITOG)
http://home.comcast.net/~buy_25/Delvac15W40-2.jpg

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #4  
as long has it passes the proper spec's you can use ANY oil you want. Now the performace of that oil is another issue.

You can use Dello, Rotella, Delvac, Royal Purple, Fleetguard, Amsoil, Redline..and the list goes on and on... (this is not the order I would select either).

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #5  
CurtisB,
Just about everyone has an opinion on the "when to change to synthetic question", and should you change. Having read a lot of post from very knowledgeable people here, I decided to switch to Redline Synthetic Oil at the 100 hr. change, but many say go right from the start. I guess you should do what seems right to you. Either way- now or later- I feel synthetic is the way to go if you live in a cold climate. It has a much lower pour point than conventional oil.

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #6  
I had this discussion with my dealer once and they called Kubota for an answer. They said as long as it was 15W40 and met the other specs, it wouldn't void the warranty.

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #7  
Kubota manual states you can use more then 15w-40.

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #8  
Sign me up for the good ole Rotela dino oil and synthetic. Use it in about all the toys whether they are diesel or gas. The motorcycles love the dino Rotela. Good price and a great additive package.

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #9  
Curtis, I've heard that the 50 hour service for the transmission (HST) is critical to perform on time, with filter change also. I used Kubota's HST oil & their filter for the trans. I use Amsoil in the engine, works fine. My dealer uses an oil that is not synthetic and does not meet CF specs. for the engine, go figure ! (They use it on all of their tractor services and have never had a problem...what can I say ?) I'd also suggest to check the fluid levels when you get your new tractor. Transmission/engine/front axle and any attachments that have gear boxes...doesn't take long and then you know it has oil. (Mine were fine)
Be sure to remove/clean and reinstall the transmission wire screen filter when changing the trans oil. I did not find much trash in mine, just some paint chips and a couple of small filings. Some have reported much trash, in the form of metal shavings etc. Manual pretty well explains process and pointers. Mora

/ BX23 Maintenance Questions #10  
Curtis, I forgot to say that the crankcase will use about 3.5 qts of oil with a new (empty) filter, NOT the 2.6 qts the Manual calls out !! The transmission is closer to the stated capacity in the manual. Mora