no chain room R4

/ no chain room R4 #1  

chrisscruton

Tractor
Kubota 3400/KubotaB6100
On the attachment you will see how little room there is for chains on the tires. Solid rims never thought about this but being up here in the north east pushing so much snow made me think of that .If anyone with R4 has chains let me know, have not talked to the dealer yet either, is there some kind of spacer cause it is so **** close.

Attachments

• 605586-IM000005.JPG
    605586-IM000005.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 451
   / no chain room R4
2nd picture solid rim

Attachments

• 605589-IM000006.JPG
    605589-IM000006.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 389
   / no chain room R4
this is an L3400 love the tractor if R1 tires probably all set right now but run a christmas tree farm and thought R4 would be best all around doesnt rut up the fields, however with all this white stuff that was indicated kindsa wish I had a set of chains.Just wanted to tell make of tractor neglected to tell earlier sorry /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ no chain room R4 #4  
I think you need to look at spacers. Some off-roading companys make steel ones, maybe in your size. I was curious what they did on the lower priced models to cut the price and the adjustable wheels are pricy. For an L5030 the adjustable R-4 wheels (24") are 400$ a side.

/ no chain room R4 #5  
Hey Chris,

I have a B7800 with turf tires unloaded. I bought chains when I ordered the tractor. When I got the tractor and went to put the chains on there was no room for them they just rubbed and bound up on the inside fender. I called Chappell where I bought the tractor from and they gave me the wheel spacers. Then my detent ball became stuck on the loader and had it serviced by them at my house, I threw the service tech a few extra bucks and he installed them for me. The only down side is when you do maintenance on the tractor you have to take the rear wheels off to may sure the spacers are still tight.

/ no chain room R4 #6  
I have a B2710 with R4's and chains. Clearance is not an issue and I do not have wheel spacers.

Attachments

• 605750-Brian-snowblowing.jpg
    605750-Brian-snowblowing.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 234
   / no chain room R4 #7  
chrisscruton,

There is not a lot of room there, but there may be enough, depending on what you want to put on that tire as far as chains go.

Like MadRef, I have 2-link ladder chains on the R4s on the back of my B2910. I think I may even have less clearance than you do, but they work fine if you keep them tight, and cut off the extra links on the inside chain.

Attached is a picture. I kept my chains on all year of 2004, due to all the rain we got. Put 350 hours on the tractor without any problems with the chains at all.

These chains are the "standard" kind that use 3/8 chain links.

Don't write off the possibility of using chains on those tires without spacers. It may work if you keep the chains tight.

On the B2910, turf tires are wider than the R4s. and reports are it is impossible to use chains on turf tires for this reason, unless spacers are installed.

Attachments

• 605886-chains.jpg
    605886-chains.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 259
   / no chain room R4
extremely interesting the information you guys have given to me(spacers, enough room in wheel wells)and i do really appreciate your responses.I probably didnt buy from a dealer that would give me spacers unlike chappell(second tractor bought L3400 by my mother was bought through them).mad and heron have shown me R4's with chains.question i took a measurement from the point where the ladder chains would come downcame up with 1 1/16".Now Heron what is your measurements boy it just seams way to close.

/ no chain room R4 #9  
My R4's are 12.4-16 and I got my 2 link ladder chains from tirechains.com . I had to remove one cross link as they were just a little too big. I know Henro had to remove a cross link too.

The chains should be tight and not flop around especially on the inside. You may have to cut the chain to accomplish this. The heavy duty spring chain tensioners are a must, don't settle for the standard version.

I have approximately 3/4" to 1" of clearance on the inside of the fender at the closest point which is at the bottom of the fender. I have never had any chain rub.