heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
I WENT OUT AND BOUGHT HEAVY DUTY 3300 LB ratchet straps[keeper brand] at a local hardware store paid 22dollars each[bought3] to hold BOTA down on my last trip.when i took them off the trailor this morning they were frayed so bad,and the stiches on the hook part were so bad ,they are trash.i took great pains not to have any sharp objects or corners.these straps are poor quality.hardware store manager says she cant take them back,because it had to be something i did.growl snarl asppp bark
i didnt buy chain binders because i didnt want to scratch my tractor with the chains.well im gonna now.fool me once shame on you,fool me twice shame on me.
any idea how to hook my bx-23 down without pinching a hose etc,?the dealer had a chain on the front so i know how to hook the fel down .how about the tractor?any type of covering i can put on the chains?
ESCAVADER

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #2  
I did the same thing with my bx2200, bought those heavy nylon rachets (think mine are 5000#, then partially frayed one on the first trip. I found something that helps. Sold by AW Direct, a company that supplies equipment to towing industry. They sell a nylon tube that slides over chains to prevent scratching or it can go over straps to prevent cuts and frays. Comes by the foot, yu cut or they will cut. It did help. A home version would be to stop by your local fire department and ask about scraps of fabric fire hose, some are even rubber lined and thread yur straps through a piece. These are incredibly tough.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #3  
Tubes are a material called codura. They can be used to cushion nylon straps, or as you mentioned to cushion from chains. It is a very abrasion resistant material. They can be had from any "rigger's supply" type place.

I prefer chains on my BX rather than the straps for the same reasons given already. I do have 2 pair of 1" 5,000lb ratchet straps made by Kinedyne. These are the best on the market, bar none. Very well made hardware. I had them made custom for my HD's by a local rigger's supply outfit.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #4  
I use ratchet straps with no issues.( 4 @ 3300#) I use them for my tractor and jeeps. One of the steps I use is axle straps. I wrap the axle strap around tie off points and hook the straps to those. The biggest thing that I have learned is not to let the straps rub on anything. I know that you will not ever use a strap again, but they do work.
Steven

uhoh its NASCAR thirty, heck they even use straps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #6  
I went out to http://sline.com/products.asp and bought heavy rachet straps and axle straps. Four of the longer axles straps and four 10" ratchet straps and I love how they attach and dont mess up the tractor at all. S-Line is high end VERY HIGH QUALITY straps and worth every penny. I would buy the better ones and stay away from the cheaper stuff.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dargo just posted an experience worth reading and remembering:

Ratcheting tie downs BROKE in transit!

I doubt that if I trailer my tractors I will ever use anything but chains after reading Dargo's experience... )</font>

That was very well written indeed ! Still would not consider using chains but that is just personal preference /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Heck the yard I used to rent from would bring out sub cut tractors with only one chain on them driving a twisty hill climb. To me that was to much faith in the " chain". Just remember " BE SAFE"

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #8  
I've been using 4 10,000# straps (one on each corner) for the past year. Probably made 8 or 10 trips with those so far. After reading Dargo's thread I am switching to chain before the next haul. Straps are easy, but even on my 10,000# rated straps they show signs of wear and neither of my tractors are very large or very heavy.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #9  
I'll throw in my cents cents for the fun of it...

I recently brought home my B7610 TLB on a rented trailer and wanted to use 2 sets of the 3" nylon web type straps mainly to avoid paint damage on a shiny new tractor. After some minor research I found the the webbing was rated to 3,000lbs but the ratchet assembly had a mere 1,000 lb rating. I recommend reading the fine print and/or ensure you are using a commercially rated product. My payload exceeded this 2K and I could of lost 'ol T.J. (tractor junoir) on the ride home.

I'm with Henro, I wouldn't consider anything but chains and binders. I used some very heavy pieces of scrap rubber we had around work to cushion the chains from the tractor, worked well with minimal scuffage.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #10  
look for them at www.harborfreight.com
got my chains/binders there and they work well.
free shipping on orders over 50 bucks.
ps, chains don't fray