rotary cutter size?

/ rotary cutter size? #1  

Gamemaster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2350DT
Going to buy my 1st implement. L2350 has 25HP engine/ 20.5HP PTO. I went to TSC and they suggested a 4' King-Kutter brush-hog ($688.00 ). My manual states max. is 60". Will the 5' bog-down and the 4' be more efficient and faster or am I being misled on the power of the Bota. Which is better choice 4' or 5' ?

/ rotary cutter size? #2  
Will you be mowing a lot of saplings or mainly tall weeds? If you don't intend to mow much heavy stuff, the 60" will work fine on your tractor and will get the job done faster.

/ rotary cutter size? #3  
If the manual states 60" maximum, I'd go for it. If your ground is relatively flat with no steep hills to climb and you're not trying to cut down redwoods with the cutter your tractor should handle it OK. My B2400 with 18PTO hp (?) will only handle a 4' mower on my hills. The manual also recommends a 4' max on mine. On the flat and if the weeds weren't too high, I think it would handle a light duty 5' cutter. At the end of the day, that additional 12" of cut makes a difference. I'd love to able to handle one comfortably.

/ rotary cutter size? #4  
There are 2 different types of bush hogs and 2 different types of hogging. Heavy Duty versus Light Duty. HD and LD bush hogs look pretty much the same, but HD is naturally heavier in every way. HD versus LD hogging can be divided down by what you intend to do with the hog. If you are taking down saplings in the 2" to 3" caliper range, lots of woody brush, etc, then you are looking to do HD type hogging. If you are taking down prairie grasses, weeds, and maybe the occasional small woody shrub, then you are in the LD type of hogging.

I would suggest your tractor is well suited for a 48" HD rotary cutter for HD type work. It is also well suited for a 60" LD cutter for light duty type work.

One thing I don't like doing is using 1/2 the implement. By that I mean I've seen many people recommend larger implements (typically rotary cutters, tillers and finish mowers) and then they recommend that if the thing bogs down you only need to take a 1/2 width cut or only go 1/2 as deep. To me that is a waste of time because you end up spending more time doing the job with the larger implement making 1/2 cuts than you would with a properly sized implement making full cuts. If I was you, I would look at the jobs that needed to be done, decide if the jobs are suited to HD type work or LD type work. Then I would size the implement accordingly.

/ rotary cutter size? #5  
Hey Gamemaster,
I live in North East and have a 4' KK brush hog that I no longer need. I bought a bigger tractor and went up to a 5' Rhino. I used the KK two years and it looks used, but not beat and it still works great. We can hook it up if you want.

Let me know if you're interested, I was going to put it in the paper out here and try to sell it anyway.

Fred

/ rotary cutter size?
Yes, I am interested. Which model # is it

/ rotary cutter size? #7  
I'll PM you as soon as I dig out the owner's manual, it shouldn't take long. Don't feel like walking out to the pole barn tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ rotary cutter size? #8  
Dang! It's a generic owner's manual /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Guess there's another reason to always write down your model number and serial number on the manual. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ rotary cutter size? #9  
I have a BX2200 and a 42" GearMore HD rough cutter. It will take down thick 8' tall swamp grass and 1.5" saplings without dropping any rpm. I'm not sure of the PTO hp differences between our tractors, but I would feel quite confident in the 4' unit and would not be at all surprised for someone else to say that the 5' model has worked well on your model tractor.

/ rotary cutter size?
I screwed-up, rookie mistake, reviewing the manual spec's last night. It states max. width is 72", so now I must decide between 5' and 6'. I don't have any heavy brush,but do have access trails thru the woods ( 40 ac. ). I am probably going to bite on the 5' model, so less will be hanging out the sides going thru the trails, overall width in the rear was 58" and bucket is 59". I appreciate all the input, this site is a world of knowledge........Thanks