Out of curiosity, has your battery.....

/ Out of curiosity, has your battery..... #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
Has anyone had the corrosion issue like so many of the Deere batteries seem to have on the XX20 tractors and even some of the others like the 790? My neighbors 790 had a bad case of the cancer and it seems a post about this problem is always popping up in the Deere forum. How about you with your Kubota. I have looked at mine every now and then and quite frankly, it's so clean I could eat off it, even after 2 years.

/ Out of curiosity, has your battery..... #2  
My L3710 is almost 7 years old, it still has the original battery and I've never cleaned any corrosion off the terminals. Every time I clean or change the air filter I check the battery - the terminals are spotless.

/ Out of curiosity, has your battery..... #3  
Mine is almost 3 years old and is cleaner than my cars......

Greg

/ Out of curiosity, has your battery..... #5  
Mine's only a year old, but never even a spot on it. I do put a dab of grease over the terminals when doing periodic service.

/ Out of curiosity, has your battery..... #7  
MY B2400 IS 6 YEARS OLD ORIGINAL BATTERY and have never had any corrision on terminals, but to be honest, every fall i pull the cables and clean the post and cables, just part of my normal maint.

/ Out of curiosity, has your battery..... #8  
Battery terminal corrosion is most often caused by contact with the corrosive (and explosive!) gases and vapours which vent out throught the openings in the caps during the normal charge/discharge cycles. It also can happen when the acid is splashed up on top of the battery by careless handling or vehicle movement, although most caps have built-in baffles to minimize this. A semi-conductive layer of dirt on top of the battery can aggravate this situation by providing a pathway for current flow and galvanic corrosion.

Note that not just the terminals, but anything else in the immediate vicinity of a battery under the hood of a car that can corrode, will.

Also, the life span of a battery which is exposed to high under-hood temperatures is greatly reduced, so a well-placed battery (such as under the seat) in a tractor should easily outlast a car battery under the same usage conditions. (Also puts the weight more over the rear wheels for better traction.)

Motorcycle batteries, and some car batteries (such as my car, which has the battery in the trunk) have a separate fitting which takes a vent tube that releases the gases either away from other components or to exterior of the vehicle. This keeps these batteries in as-new appearance for years right up to the day they expire. On a motorcycle the tube also prevents acid from spilling around on electrical components when/if the bike is tipped over.

Like yours, my Kubota battery terminals remain spotless, with very little effort on my part, but I expect that, unlike a car battery which is contained under the hood, it is because it sits out in the open and the gases can freely move away from the battery and other components.

Are the other JD tractors that have a corrosion problem set up so that the gases are contained somehow, such as they would be under the hood of a car? It would be a simple matter of replacing it with a compatible battery type with the vent tube fitting and installing a plastic tube to carry the vapours away. (Preferrably the next time the battery needs to be replaced anyway.) Although, these batteries do cost a little more.
Hope this helps.

Regards - Brian.

/ Out of curiosity, has your battery.....
The JD's are set up nearly identical. Thanks for the explanation. I never knew exactly why batteres developed the corrosion around the terminals and elsewhere that they do when there is no obvious sign of it leaking.

/ Out of curiosity, has your battery..... #10  
I am not an engineer but another possibility for the junk around the JD bats is that the regulators are not that good and the water/acid is being boiled out of the battery. I think I would check the water level and add some distilled water if necessary. Just a thought...