What tractor to use for a Bedder and Mulcher?

/ What tractor to use for a Bedder and Mulcher? #1  

chuckcou

I was 1st looking at a B7510, then a B7610, the an L series, now I am confused.
I want to be able to use a Buckeye Bedder that shapes bed top from 24" to 46" and requires a 20HP 4 Wheel drive. My problem is not the Horse Power, but the gap between the front wheels. Looks like the Tranctor gap between the front wheels on the Kobotas are about 29". If the is true then I would only be able to make my rows 29" wide.
Am I missing something here?
I don't understand, does anyone have any experience with Bed shapers and mulcher that could inlighten me.
Thanks
Chuck

/ What tractor to use for a Bedder and Mulcher? #2  
Hi Chuck,

My experience with bedders so far is mostly from the spectator's seat, but I'll give it my best.

1) You will not necessarily be limited by the width of your wheels. Because the bedder rides behind the tractor, it can hill-up soil that has been run over by tractor wheels. This is probably less than ideal (compaction problems, etc.), and if you chose to go this route, I'd be sure to do all ground work only when the soil is reasonably dry.

2) I'd question that 20 hp minimum figure. The attached picture is of an 80 HP high-clearance John Deere. Although the manufacturer of this particular bedder claimed a minimum of 40 HP + 4wd, the folks running this rig told me that they were using nearly every horse Johnny could pony up (though they like to work quickly, as time=$$). As you can probably tell, the soil had already been thoroughly disc'ed and tilled prior to bedding.

If you're planning on commercial production of more than an acre or two, I'd give serious consideration to a larger rig. Then you'll have additional space between your wheels to boot...

-otus

Attachments

• 615860-bedder rearview small.JPG
    615860-bedder rearview small.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 620
   / What tractor to use for a Bedder and Mulcher?
thanks for the input. Any information is good. It seems bedder are harder to find informatoin on than box blades.
To bring this post more upto date I upgrade the Kobota to a 7800. The bedder I am considering is a buckeye 35 HP "Junior" BEDDER
4" buckeye 35 Junior . Kinda have to scroll down the page.(Website needs work in my opion)
Anyway if anyone has anymore feedback I would be apprecitive.
Thanks Chuck

/ What tractor to use for a Bedder and Mulcher? #4  
Chuck,

Did you ever pick up the Buckeye shaper? i am looking into the same now and may just get the disc bedder to start...but the Jr shaper or 2121 shapers are tempting.

If so how did it work?? Got any pictures?