Chains general question about chains

/ general question about chains #1  

vulcan101

Tractor
kubota L2800
just about all my 3/8" chains have become pretty rusty over time and being laid up thru the winter and wanted to ask what is the best (easy) way to clean them before i really need them this season.

/ general question about chains #2  
Drag them around behind the tractor, through grass, rocks, gravel, or asphalt. They will clean up pretty fast.

I just use them for whatever, and the rust doesn't bother a bit.

What does the rust bother? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ general question about chains #3  
The rust and corosion will weaken the links of the chain by pitting and causing stress risers. Dragging them around will clean them and grind them away too.

I would suggest a wire brush to nock off the worst and pressure wash them to clean them. A good coating of WD40 or similar to prevent more corrosion. Hanging them up rather than leve them on the floor will help keep them nice in the future.

/ general question about chains
thanks for the suggestions,thats what i needed to know

/ general question about chains #5  
I had some chain that had surface rusted and was a mess to carry. Since we drive on a very sandy road occassionally going to the farm, I tossed them in the truck on the next trip.

When we got to the sandiest part, I stopped, hooked the chains from the bumper, and pulled them 1/4 mile. Stopped and flipped the chains end for end, and drove another 1/4 mile.

Nice and clean then!

Ron

/ general question about chains #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When we got to the sandiest part, I stopped, hooked the chains from the bumper, and pulled them 1/4 mile. Stopped and flipped the chains end for end, and drove another 1/4 mile.)</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Poor man's sand blaster!