Using the clutch to engage PTO

/ Using the clutch to engage PTO #1  

BrianC

Tractor
Kubota L5030
Well, after 3 John Deeres I have made the switch to Kubota. I sold and delivered my 990 yesterday and am hoping for delivery of a 5030 tomorrow. 48 hours with no tractor causes severe withdrawal symptoms.

I am reading the manual regarding the PTO and if I understand it correctly, you do not need to use the clutch to engage or disengage it? That you simply slowly move the lever to engage or disengage?

I also don't understand this statment in the manual.... "When the clutch pedal is depressed, the PTO engages. [GST,DT Type]"

Should this read "disengages"? Can some one explain this to me. By the way the new tractor is a GST.

Thank You

Brian

/ Using the clutch to engage PTO #2  
Brian,
I think they are trying to say that with the clutch depressed (GST type) the PTO will operate ("engage" anyway-if the PTO lever is in on position). I have a L3130 with the manual saying the same which I had a hard time with also. The PTO has it's own clutch which is controled by the PTO on/off lever.

/ Using the clutch to engage PTO
Thanks for the info. It must make it difficult to stop the PTO in an adverse situation. I would think the normal reaction would be to step on the clutch if you hit something while in operation.

Regards

Brian

/ Using the clutch to engage PTO #4  
The HST has the pto clutch backed up by the main clutch. This lets you feather large loads up to speed on the big main clutch instead of the independant pto clutch.

I saw the same line in the manual too and maybe you could let us know if it is a type or not!