BX vs lawn tractor size comparison

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #1  

aardvark

Gold Member
I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• 618965-IM001455.JPG
    618965-IM001455.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 921
   / BX vs lawn tractor size comparison
Another

Attachments

• 618967-IM001457.JPG
    618967-IM001457.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 783
I had to run a strap from the top of the bucket and over the top of the Craftsman to get it to hang in the bucket like it is. I haven't touched the Craftsman in about six months (since buying the BX23) so I sold it on ebay. The buyer is supposed to pick it up today. Loading the Craftsman in the truck should be a breeze! LOL.

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #5  
In what category does a BX1500 belong? It's smaller than most sub-cuts but larger than a garden tractor. Would it be called a micro-utility tractor, a micro-compact utility tractor? I woud guess, however, that side by side, a BX1500 and a garden tractor with a loader and cat 0 hitch wouldn't look too far apart in size. The size difference between "real" tractors and wanna-be's is getting ever smaller.

Post Edit: Just checked 'Bota & JD sites to see what's the biggest thing classified as a garden tractor. The JD X595SE "Garden Tractor" has a 3 cyl. 24hp. water cooled diesel engine, 6.5 gal. tank, 62" MMM, FEL, and Cat. 1 hitch. Looks like it's getting impossible to tell where garden tractors end and sub-CUTs begin; they overlap /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif . So who decides these designations anyway?

In this pic you can sort of see the strap. I ran it under the hood, over the top of the engine and steering bracket, under the seat and to the bucket. The picture is poor resolution because I had to make it larger and then crop it to get it to the point where the strap could be seen and still under 100k.

Attachments

• 619025-strap.JPG
    619025-strap.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 487
I guess I'd just stick with a sub-cut for the BX1500, since that's what Kubota calls it. Granted, I realize the range in sizes of garden tractors is pretty large. I don't think the BX will be lifting a JD X595 in the bucket like it can with the el-chintzo Craftsman.

I had thought the only technical difference between the garden tractors and subcuts was that the garden tractors don't have a 3 pt hitch? Or is that incorrect?

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #8  
3 pt hitch and about 1,000 lbs. of weight. Lawn tractor like the Sears one pictured is maybe 5-700 lbs.; a BX2230, FEL, mower and loaded tires will be well on the high side of 1,500 lbs.

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3 pt hitch and about 1,000 lbs. of weight. Lawn tractor like the Sears one pictured is maybe 5-700 lbs.; a BX2230, FEL, mower and loaded tires will be well on the high side of 1,500 lbs. )</font>

But then there's this "Garden Tractor" category which seems to start just above the "Lawn Tractor" and go well into "subCUT" territory. Five years ago, the biggest "Garden Tractor" I'd heard of was a JD 25 hp., 2 cyl., gas engine, with a flimsy FEL and a cat. 0 hitch. This JD X595SE that they call a "Garden Tractor" is bigger than a BX2230.

/ BX vs lawn tractor size comparison #10  
Tom, you got me curious about this JD. List price is $14,600 with only a mower, no FEL or BH (only FEL appears to be available). It does have some cool features, though.

Link here