3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions #1  

DavidVT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3430
Hi,
I anticipate the new 3430HST will arrive before the grass starts to grow. That being so, I am ready to start shopping for a tiller and brushog.

I will be tilling and stumping a 10 acre farm field that had several hundred 40 year old trees cut down 3 years ago.

I also hope to make a little mad money tilling gardens for the summer folks.

Do I want a large tiller and risk being underpowered? Do I want a smaller tiller that will be inside the footprint of my big R4s? Do I want a smaller tiller with the slide feature (if it really works....???

----
As to brush hogging, I will be working in that stump filled field for a couple years and then I will just do small jobs and try again to make some mad money with it.
Do I try to go wide enough for the R4's? something like 6 feet.
Do I go with something smaller?

----
These questions are more towards what do you think the tractor is capable of vs what do you think I need?

----
Finally: lingering winter questions:

for Snow blower sizing, would you try to cover those wide R4's? What brands are more horsepower friendly than others? What brands are more horsepower hogs?

for scraper blades, what 80" brands will stand up to pushing snow in reverse in low range with this #3000+ Hydrostatic?

Thanks for your thoughts,
David

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions #2  
For both tiller and brush hog, personally, I would only buy one that's just a little wider than the outside of my rear tires. Some people prefer one not quite that wide so if they go between two trees or other obstacles they know if the tractor fits they don't have to worry about the implement, but I want one a little bit wider so I can get close to fences, buildings, etc.

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions #3  
In your tractor manual, Kubota provides the load limits for the three point hitch and the recommended sizes for various implements. I use that as a starting point. As long as I don't exceed the hitch limits I figure I can hang anything on the back. As an example, I run a logging winch that's designed for a much larger horsepower (double) tractor on an L3710. It meets the weight limitations but not the horsepower IF USED TO THE MAXIMUM CAPACITY. It works fine for my uses. It makes a very capable unit I can get into tighter spots than my larger tractors. I just make sure I don't run at the winch anywhere near the capacity on the smaller tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Same goes for any attachment you might be interested in. Review the table in your manual and go from there. While Kubota may recommend a certain blade size for a back blade, you may be able to go with a heavier (which is more effective) and longer blade if you stay within the hitch limits AND don't plan on using the blade to bulldoze huge piles of earth. You'll have to take smaller "bites." /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions #4  
David,
I would go with implements that would cover my tracks. I have a L3830HST, which is basically the same tractor with a little bit more power. I have a 75” snow blower, which the tractor runs with no power issues. Mine is 29” high and this year I did some drifts that were well over the top of it. I had to slow down a little, but went right through it. I have my tires set in the medium position and the chain clearance is very close. If I move the tires all the way out 6’ no longer covers my tracks with R4’s. A 6’ brush hog will use all the power in tough conditions so you may have to slow down a little in that case. I lease some of my hay land and as you know last year was very wet here. In late summer I had to brush-hog a few acres that they could not get on. With a 5’ unit I could cruise along about 5 mph. I offset the cutter as much as I dared with the 3PH, however I still leave a bit of a track. Brush is another matter and depending on how thick it is you would have to slow down accordingly. At any rate I sure wish I had a 6’ unit. I am sure you would handle a 6’ tiller without a problem. I have a 53” offset model, and yes the offset does work well. I have it offset to the max to cover one wheel. It does handicap me as far as the pattern goes, as I have to till accordingly. No problem in wide-open areas, but if you do encounter any obstacles you must get creative. This unit does not work my tractor hardly at all so 72” should be no problem. (The reason I have an undersize tiller and brush hog is that I used to have a smaller tractor.) I am not sure how big your stumps are, but tillers certainly do not like them or tree roots.
I can’t really help you with the blade as all that I have is a woods landscape blade which is 14” high which is really not enough for moving snow here.
I don’t know where you are located in VT (I live 15 miles Northeast of Burlington) If you are nearby and want to look at any of this you are welcome to do so.

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions #5  
Haven't tested theory myself but the snowblower can go as slow as you'd like with the hydro in low. A gear tractor can only go so slow at pto speed and can easily overload a blower in deep snow.

So I'd cover the tracks so you don't drve over and pack down any more snow than needed.

The bushhog I would say just smaller than the rear tracks, it is easy to get tight up against a fence that you can't turn away from as the hog swings into it.

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions #6  
FWIW, Woods (maybe others too) makes a brush hog that can be offset if that's a need.

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions
Ok,
Seems like going full width with the snowblower is not a problem since the hydro can easily compensate for load by slowing down with the go pedal! I am leaning towards that decision as I look for off season deals this summer.

As to the brush hog, I am leaning towards a smaller used brush hog with a new slip clutch. This to take the beating initially as I 'find' the problems in the 'new' field.

I think I will leave the tiller question open and see what more have to say on that one...

Thanks for the feedback!

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions #8  
I went with the 5' brush hog due to all the stumps, brush, weeds and all on my land and sometimes I wish I had the 6' model. Once the stumps are removed and I have turned the brush and remaining branches and such into sawdust so that it is just pasture I will go with the larger mower. If you buy the 6' now you won't need to upgrade later. unless you ae going to do like me and get the mower.

steve

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions #9  
Glad to hear your getting another L3430, too bad about your first one, I know my 3430 it is almost like one of the kids!

I have a 62" Bush Hog tiller and it covers the tracks while set in the center. I am going to move my real wheel to the widest which will add about 5" so then it might not cover complete. The tiller can be offset if needed.

Have a Agrotrend 60" snowblower that seems to be about the perfect size.

Also have a 5' KK brush hog. The manual says that it can take a 6' and that is what I was going to buy, but it was huge compared to the 5' and I thought it may have been too much. I think the large one would be fine for just grass, but for brush my 5' works well. Brush hogging does take a lot of power, I hit ant hills that really make the Kubota pull.

ksmmoto

/ 3430HST: sizing attachments, seeking opinions
ksmmoto,
Do you have R4s or Ags?