Oil & Fuel On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #1  

Mike_C

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-22
Does anyone know the difference between on-road diesel and off-road diesel? If I go to the gas station, I can only buy one kind of diesel fuel, but if I buy from a local oil company, I can buy either on-road diesel or off-road diesel, and of course it's less expensive, but you have to buy 100 gallons at a time. I'm guessing maybe it's not as refined? does anyone know? Does anyone use off-road diesel in their Kubotas?

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #2  
Try doing a search on the Fuel section for the multitude of answers.

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #3  
I just did a search and found Off Road diesel from earlier this year. You should find some good information in it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #4  
Plenty of people use off road diesel in their tractors. The difference between on-road and off-road varies from region to region, and supplier to supplier. I can get three totally different kinds of diesel, all sold as off-road, within 15 minutes of my house. However, the botton line is that you can use either on-road or off-road with no problems in your tractor.

Everything you ever wanted to know can be found by searching in the Oil, Fuel, & Lubricants forum where the subject of on-road vs off-road diesel has been debated and beaten to death numerous times.

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #5  
My diesel provider tells me that the fuel is exactly the same except that his off-road fuel contains a colorant so so if found in an on-road vehicle you can be fined. Generally the lower price is because some/all of the road taxes are not charged at purchase.

OrangeGuy

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #6  
Be careful about buying off-road diesel. Depending on the state you live in you may have to have a fuel tax exemption certificate on file with the state. In Texas, usually a dealer will not even sell you the fuel unless you sign a statement and provide your exemption number.

The difference in price is that you don't pay road use taxes on off-road diesel. And you know how tax collectors are when they think you have not paid the proper taxes.

Bill Tolle

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #7  
I have switched to off road diesel in my B7800. In addition to being less expensive, it is higher in sulfur.

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #8  
The difference will probably depend on the fuel distributor.

A co-worker of mine used to haul fuel. He said that the only difference between the two fuels that they hauled was the red dye, which was added to the diesel fuel at the point of delivery to make it off-road.

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #9  
I ain't no expert, but it's my understanding that the red dye is added to diesel fuel marked for agricultural use, which is cheaper because it's taxed at a different rate...which shoud be fine for your tractor, but if you get caught with that fuel in a diesel truck on the highway (maybe not very likely), you'll pay a steep fine AND have to drain the fuel tank.

I have a Ford F250 PowerStroke diesel truck and a Kubota BX 2230 diesel tractor; so it's an issue of some relevance to me -- although I somehow doubt I'll use enough fuel in the tractor to figure out how/where to purchase the cheaper, dyed diesel fuel.

/ On road diesel -vs- off-road diesel #10  
<font color="blue"> (maybe not very likely) </font>
At a lot of cattle auctions, the pick-ups are checked pretty often. You come back out and they are waiting($) for you.