L4400, connecting to the PTO

/ L4400, connecting to the PTO #1  

challengertn

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 135 soon to be Kubota
Late this evening I tried, for the first time, to hook an implement to the PTO. I found out quickly that you cannot turn the PTO shaft to line it up with the splines of the shaft for the implement. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to release the shaft so it can be turned by hand? Thanks, I can call the dealer tomorrow but sometimes it's hard to talk to someone who knows over the phone.

/ L4400, connecting to the PTO #2  
Try turning the shaft on the implement. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It takes a little determination sometimes, but the shaft will eventually turn. This is what I do when connecting to a 6' tiller and a 6' bush hog.

Before I realized that the implement shaft could be turned, I would engage the pto on the tractor for a second or two, then try to connect the implement shaft /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.
I would - sooner or later - get the splines lined up. I don't recommend this way /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

If your connecting to a tiller, the tines have to be off the ground to turn the shaft.
Hope this helps.

/ L4400, connecting to the PTO #3  
Yep, turn the shaft on the implement. If you even think about engaging the PTO----STOP and think again. Some of the regulars on TBN advise to turn the engine OFF and pocket the key before hooking/unhooking an implement to the PTO. Imagine how much more trouble you will have connecting to the PTO with only one arm/hand...............

/ L4400, connecting to the PTO
I did a little experimenting today when I hooked up the tiller. I had been doing it like you said but after I hook up the tiller and raise it up it is hard to get into the PTO shaft. Today I shut off the tractor after I connected the 3pt and took both shifters out of gear and raised the seat and I was able to turn it by hand for a few inches each way. I don't know what part of this combination enabled me to be able to turn it but it worked. I had read where the Kubotas were designed to turn a few inches and that the seat was part of the safety switch. So I just tried everything. Thanks for the replies.

/ L4400, connecting to the PTO #5  
I hooked up the 5' bush--hog to my 4400 this weekend, I experience no PTO problems, although I only had to turn it a few degrees to get alignment.

/ L4400, connecting to the PTO #6  
I have to raise the tiller to spin my PTO also. I have a long heavy screw driver that I keep in my Tractor tool box just so i can ut it in the knuckle of the PTO shaft to spin it - I makes it a lot easier. If you do that make sure the tractor is OFF, you have the key, & you do not force it so you hurt the shaft/impement.