Differential Lock

/ Differential Lock #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
Hi. I was just reading the manual for my BX and the wording is kind of strange regarding the use of the diff lock. It says: "Important: To prevent damage to power train, do not engauge differential lock when one wheel is spinning and the other is completely stopped" All I can think is, when the hell else is one going to apply it?.....when one wheel is spinning and the other is stopped is exactly the kind of situation one wants/needs the differential to lock!

Two questions, First, how do you apply your diff lock (sounds like a dumb question, but read on)? I have been holding my foot on it gently when I think I'll need it to dig or something like that, then when a wheel starts to spin (and the other is stopped) I feel it drop down. Second, sometimes the steel pedal doesn't drop all the way down? It moves down about half way and the differential appears to lock anyway? I guess I'm not sure exactly how it is supposed to work. The dealer didn't say and the book makes no sense. Any suggestions comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

/ Differential Lock #2  
Jim, you don't want to try to engage the differential lock when one wheel is "spinning" or you might break something. Think of a pin that's going to slip into a hole when you step on the pedal. If the shaft with the hole is spinning rapidly when the pin tries to drop in, you may break it. But of course when you step on the pedal and the pin isn't lined up with the hole, the pedal may not go all the way down and one wheel may have to turn a bit to get them lined up. And when the pin drops into the hole, if you're applying power at the time, it may "lock" but the pin isn't all the way in and doesn't want to go farther because of the turning force of the axle. When the pedal only goes down about halfway, but it appears that the differential is locked, try letting off the hydro pedal and see if it doesn't go on down.

Bird

/ Differential Lock
Bird, That makes sense. I'll give it try next time I'm digging.....tomorrow AM :)