Need Remote(s), Have Questions

/ Need Remote(s), Have Questions #1  

TORQUIN

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830
I have an L3830 with the BH90 and I have hydraulics running to the back of the tractor, but I think I need a remote in order to run the angle cylinder on the Harley rake I just bought. I do not remember a remote ever being mentioned when I purchased the tractor, so I'm guessing I don't have one unless it came with the BH.

Here are my questions:
1. Is a "remote" just a tap off the hydraulic system, with no valves, or is it the tap off the hydraulics with the necessary vales installed?
2. If no valves, would I just go to the dealer and tell him to give me a remote?
3. Is a remote available anywhere but the dealer?
4. Where does it tap into the system?
5. Do I have to make all of the lines between the valve and remote, if they aren't the same thing?
6. If I get one remote, would it be not much more expensive to get 2, or 3? I'm thinking of a top-n-tilt someday.
7. Would I need 2 or 3, or could I just "T" out of the single remote?
8. Where is a good place to mount valves for the remote(s).
9. How much should I expect to spend?

Thanks for educating me.

Chris

/ Need Remote(s), Have Questions #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have an L3830 with the BH90 and I have hydraulics running to the back of the tractor, but I think I need a remote in order to run the angle cylinder on the Harley rake I just bought.)</font>

Yes you do.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1. Is a "remote" just a tap off the hydraulic system, with no valves, or is it the tap off the hydraulics with the necessary vales installed?)</font>

It's not a "tap" but a valve that is connected in series with the hydraulic circuit.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2. If no valves, would I just go to the dealer and tell him to give me a remote?)</font>

Your L3830 has a Kubota dealer installed option for remotes. It will add from 1 to 3 valves and remote connectors. For the first remote you need to order the B8305 base kit and a B8303 valve. To add an additional remote you would add a B8306 and a B8303. To add a third valve you would add a B8307 and a B8303. Total MSRP for all 3 would be around $1400.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3. Is a remote available anywhere but the dealer?)</font>

Yes and it would be less expensive. You have to buy something like a Prince SV stackable valve set and hoses, and fittings, etc. You can probably do it yourself for about 1/2 the price of the factory installed remotes. Some people have gone this route but most opt for the factory installed remotes as they are better integrated into your tractor.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 4. Where does it tap into the system?)</font>

The factory setup bolts directly to the transmission and the levers come up thru the right side and fender into the slots arready there. If you do it without factory parts you have to connect into the hydraulic circuit usually at the loader valve with long hoses.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 5. Do I have to make all of the lines between the valve and remote, if they aren't the same thing?)</font>

Not sure what you mean here. That factory setup contains everything you need. Once installed all you do is just plug in the hoses from your implement. If you do your own with non-factory parts then you are responsible for routing hoses, mounting valves, etc.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 6. If I get one remote, would it be not much more expensive to get 2, or 3? I'm thinking of a top-n-tilt someday.)</font>

The first Kubota factory remote will run $600, each additional will run $400. All three will be $1400. Prices are MSRP.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 7. Would I need 2 or 3, or could I just "T" out of the single remote?)</font>

You cannot "T" out of a single remote. You can purchase a diverter for a single remote that will divert fluid from one implement to another with a push of a button. This option is typically used for a front grapple setup and may cost more than adding a second remote.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 8. Where is a good place to mount valves for the remote(s).)</font>

The Kubota factory remotes have the levers in the right side and fender (the slots are already there) and the quick connects in the rear of the tractor. If you install you own valves, they are typically hung off the ROPS with a homemade bracket or on the fender just behind and beside the seat.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 9. How much should I expect to spend?)</font>

Anywhere from $60o-$1400 for a Kubota factory setup to $400-$700 for parts to do it yourself using Prince or someother brand parts.

If I was in your shoes I would go for the factory remotes. Nice clean setup, although a bit pricey.

Do a search for "rear remotes" and you will find several threads describing how others have implemented rear remotes.

/ Need Remote(s), Have Questions #3  
<font color="blue"> If I was in your shoes I would go for the factory remotes. Nice clean setup, although a bit pricey. </font>

I'll add my voice to MadRef's.

I would also spend the extra bucks for the factory setup.

Not because it will work any better, but simply because the end result is less cluttered and most of the components are out of the way... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Need Remote(s), Have Questions
Thank you for the replies, and education!
I did notice 3 empty slots behind the 3pt control lever. I guess this is where the remote lever(s) go?

Is this something I can install myself, or should I let the dealer do it? I work on diesels, tractors and cars, but never have done much with hydraulics (the rebuild of my Ford 4000D 3pt valve didn't go as well as expected).
I thought I heard of someplace online to get Kubota parts. Does anyone know of an online place that might be cheaper than the local dealer?

Thanks,
Chris

/ Need Remote(s), Have Questions #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I did notice 3 empty slots behind the 3pt control lever. I guess this is where the remote lever(s) go?)</font>

Yes.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this something I can install myself, or should I let the dealer do it? I work on diesels, tractors and cars, but never have done much with hydraulics (the rebuild of my Ford 4000D 3pt valve didn't go as well as expected).)</font>

Probably. I believe you have to remove the right rear tire to get better access to the aux hydraulic block though.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought I heard of someplace online to get Kubota parts. Does anyone know of an online place that might be cheaper than the local dealer?)</font>

Try TractorSmart.com . Not sure if their price is cheaper but no harm in asking.

Thanks again for the info. I will start looking into it.

Thanks,
Chris

/ Need Remote(s), Have Questions #7  
Chris

I purchased my L3130 last year with 3 remotes. The dealer took off the right rear wheel and fender to give clear access. You may find that taking off the wheel is enough though in your case as I had some special hose routing to take two circuits forward.

Vernon

/ Need Remote(s), Have Questions #8  
I don't know how the loader is connected on your Kubota, but if there are quick disconnects between the cylinders and the joystick, and you don't need to use the loader at the same time as the rake, you could always connect the rake to the loader joystick.

/ Need Remote(s), Have Questions #9  
When I got the rear remotes I had the opion of float or non float. I went with the float for both, glad I did. You will use a float for the rake if you not on level ground.

It is my understanding that the rake goes 15 degrees side to side, like twisting it from the top (Z axis). What difference would float make on uneven ground with this kind of possible movement?

Thanks,
Chris