Rock tongs for BX

/ Rock tongs for BX #1  

jhb

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
Hi all, thought I would post here 1st, but this may belong in projects.

I purchased my BX to move and rebuild stone walls. One thing I want to do is use "larger" rocks. To do so I will need to lift rocks up onto the wall.

Here's the question, do they make something like rock "tongs", not a rock bucket (though I could use one of those too). I was thinking something like 3 or 4 prong ice tongs so I could pick the rock up with the FEL and chain and spin the rock and set it down where I want it. I think they would work like scissors so when you picked them up, they would "close" on the rock.

I thought about a thumb, but that would be to restrictive on placment on the wall.

Any thoughts?

/ Rock tongs for BX #2  
Do a search for grapples you will have tons of information. I think that is what you might be looking for for the FEL. The other option would be a log skidding attachmet but thats gonna be cost prohibitive I would think.

/ Rock tongs for BX
thanks for the response, but that is not quite what I was looking for. In this application I think a thumb would be better.

So no one has ever seen what I am describing? Hmm, maybe time to get creative. NE1 on SS of MA got a welder?

/ Rock tongs for BX
Actually, after doing some research on your sugestion, what I want is a rock grapple. Only ones i can find so far are quite large.

Thanks for putting me on the right track.

/ Rock tongs for BX #6  
jhb.

I posted a reply to your post in the "Attachments" group today. Check it out. I built a set of rock tongs back in september with three "claws" to grip the rock. Worked great.