Toothbars, how much is too much?

/ Toothbars, how much is too much? #1  

Mike_C

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-22
I've been reading the threads on here about toothbars, but haven't seen much about price. I just called Marham, and they want $158 for a toothbar, but then want $92 shipping to ship it to my house.
That's $250 for a piece of steel only 46.25 inches long. Seems a bit high to me.
Does anyone know of a less expensive toothbar solution?

/ Toothbars, how much is too much? #2  
I don't think that is unreasonable. The shipping cost is just the facts. The bar at $158 is quite cheap when you consider the design of the bar. Let's put it this way, I could not build one as cheap and still expect some profit. Your dealer may have them or could order it but the shipping is still going to be up there plus his profit. Larger bars with about 1' more length are considerably more then that. The replaceable tooth type will cost a little more as well.

/ Toothbars, how much is too much? #3  
Mike,

Not sure where you are located, but I paid about $30 less in shipping for a larger toothbar from Markham. Maybe it is the fuel prices kicking in.

As far as the toothbar being worth the price, I can only tell you so far, it has been the most cost effective purchase I have ever made for a tractor. The first day I put it on, I was cutting through ice and the frozen ground like it was slush. I was digging out a rock the other day (about 150lbs) took one pass at it and I thought I had missed it until I backed up and saw the 5ft wide hole I had just made..... the rock was in the bucket.

The Markham bar is well made, you might find cheaper, but not by much.

Hope this is of some help,

Gary

/ Toothbars, how much is too much?
I'm in SouthWest Ohio. Closer than you I think..

/ Toothbars, how much is too much? #5  
Mike_C,
It seems that every post get's some wise @$$ reply that's not of much help so here goes:
From your profile I see that you reside in the US, so just swing by, pick it up yourself, and save on the shipping.
Sorry, couldn't help it.
I paid $285 for a Woods toothbar, from the dealer, installed, on a LA352 FEL.
Cheers...edski

/ Toothbars, how much is too much? #6  
Are you having it delivered to your home? That usually costs at least $35 more. If you can pick it up from the shippers warehouse or have it delivered to a business with a loading dock, shipping will be less. Note: The toothbar is shipped strapped to a palette.

It's easy to install, just drill two, 1/2 inch holes in the sides of the bucket and bolt it in place.

/ Toothbars, how much is too much? #7  
That's a fair price, they're pretty heavy, so the shipping isn't out of line.

/ Toothbars, how much is too much? #8  
Hard parts 95 w/o extras or shipping. Steel 13 and bolts and paint is another 2 so that is 110 with out any labor and me having parts shipped and picking up the flat bar. Is there shipping high yes but it is an oversized item and over 50# which makes it cost more too. See how much shipping is to p/u at the nearest hub. They tack like 25 or so on the cost for a resi address.

If you want to save werk-brau is the company I got my teeth, pins and adapters from. The company stuff I bought was from fab-co its all they make. Fabcos catalog is on line.

One more piece of advice is get a 6th tooth bar, mine is 5 should have gotten six. Any questions just ask /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Toothbars, how much is too much?
Just for the record, I am ok with the price of the toothbar; it's the shipping that I was questioning. Thanks for the responses. I did not inquire about picking it up at a hub, but the girl on the phone did say it was an extra $30 to deliver to my house.

/ Toothbars, how much is too much? #10  
Like anyone else who has ordered a toothbar from Markham, I was extreamly pleased with my experiance ordering a toothbar from them. Ordered the bar on a Tuesday, had it by noon the next day. Delivered to my office in the 'burbs of Philly for $60.00. Only has five teeth, but it works just fine. If you go with it, use a unibit to drill the bucket. Installation took <15 minutes.