Bucket hook locations

/ Bucket hook locations #1  

bowhunter3030

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4060hstc & Kubota B2601
Where is the best place to position two hooks on my 60" bucket?

/ Bucket hook locations #2  
IMO, if you want to lift heavy objects I would recommend to position a hook on top center of the bucket. That way you save some stress on the loader frame and bucket. You can do the same with two hooks placed on each corner but you have to use both at the same time. My dealer told me that he saw too many twisted loaders and buckets that now he refuses to weld hooks on corners.

/ Bucket hook locations #3  
BTW, are you happy with your B3030? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bucket hook locations #4  
Best place? Guess it all depends on how you want to use them. But I placed two grab hooks about in line with the loader arms on each side of the bucket, on the top 'ledge'. I haven't regretted those locations, and (noticed your handle bowhhunter 3030) find hanging up a deer is pretty slick with these hook locations.

Last fall, I brought in a nice buck after dark, and gutted it under the headlights, while it was hanging. Discovered that with it hanging by back legs with belly toward the tractor, that the pelvic area was 'lit up' inside, making the knife movements under the tail much easier /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The grab hooks help to quickly adjust the length of the chain for whatever task is at hand. I am careful to balance the load on the chains, so all of a heavy weight is not lifted by just one side of the bucket.

I also drilled the bucket edge in the center to take a pin for a clevis, or to put a trailer ball through it to move trailers around. Has proven pretty handy many times.

/ Bucket hook locations #5  
You'll probably find a bunch of opinions, but I think three hooks (outside grabs, center slip), rather than one center or two outboard hooks, allows for the most flexibility and practicality. In addition to minimizing the 'twisting' issue when lifting, using a slip hook in the center and grab hooks on the outside is an easy way to secure oversized items to the bucket safely. In fact, someone recently posted a pic of a large tank in the bucket that shows how handy that center hook really is! You won't regret having a center hook, might want to keep your end hooks out at the end of the bucket for strength and not in direct line with the loader arms so your chain wraps around the bucket cleanly if need be. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 632732-CIMG2796_0003.jpg
    632732-CIMG2796_0003.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,199
   / Bucket hook locations #6  
I went with the same setup DHolly uses. I put my outside hooks next to the edge of the bucket, I figured I was not going to use them individualy and it has not been a problem with for me. I will pull from the middle for single use and if I need a shorter grab I run the chain to the outside hook to choke it up. I use 5/16 chains and grabs.

/ Bucket hook locations #7  
I found a pic of my B3030 60" bucket. 3 hooks. I convinced my dealer that side hooks was just to bind the tractor on my trailer. Anyways, when you ask before the delivery it costs nothing so 1, 2 or 3, there's no difference.

Attachments

• 632750-DSC02874 copy.jpg
    632750-DSC02874 copy.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,113
   / Bucket hook locations #8  
2 hooks are pretty easy, because as long as you put load on both hooks you spread the stress evenly, the 3rd hook is the tough one. Two outer hooks, roughly in line with or slightly outboard of the loader arms are pretty common.

You didn't ask about it, but if a center hook is installed it can collapse the center of the bucket lip on some bucket designs. Not sure about your bucket, but the bucket of the Kubota B3030 at my local dealer does not have a reinforced top lip, it simply has a double fold to make a squared off "C" shape. That is a pretty strong shape, but not as strong as if there is a square tube welded under the upper lip. Some folks weld in angle iron to reinforce the upper lip, that works well too if the upper bucket lip is not reinforced.

About 2 weeks ago I ran a thread that compared a lot of different tractors. None of the Kubota buckets on that thread had what would be defined as a H.D. bucket with a reinforced upper lip. I posted pictures of an L3400, B3030, B2910 (mine) and B7800. All 4 had somewhat similar buckets, all had top lips with "double" folds.

Interestinly there was no consensus between brands and how the manufacturers built buckets. NH had round and square tubes under the top lips. Branson had a "single" fold. John Deere had either "tubular" rolls or "double" folds on their standard buckets, but their optional HD buckets were substantially reinforced on all 4 sides of the bucket perimeter. Montana had "single" folds.

I guess some of it might be cost. Some of it might be calculated risk as most owners probably don't put hook on their upper bucket lips so an upper reinforcement might be an unnecessary cost 80% of the time?

/ Bucket hook locations #9  
<font color="blue">
You didn't ask about it, but if a center hook is installed it can collapse the center of the bucket lip on some bucket designs. </font>

That was one fear I had on my 54" LA402 bucket. I ended up welding a piece of 2x2x.25 inch angle across the top lip, and it made a world of difference in my opinion. As hard as I've tried, I've been unable to bend it yet.

I'm a big fan of a slip hook in the center and grab hooks on the outside. When pulling or lifting from the center, I can throw the chain over the slip hook, and hook it in a grab hook on the outside. Sometimes this is handy, not having to reach to the center hook to attach the chain. It is possible to pull the slack up and hook into the grab hook from the side. Works well for me and I would not change what I have...

<font color="blue"> Where is the best place to position two hooks on my 60" bucket? </font>

bowhunter3030,

I guess my answer is...one grab hook somewhere on each end of the bucket, and a slip hook in the middle...never could count well... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But I don't think I would use a center hook with doing something to keep the top lip of the bucket from folding down, like Bob suggested could happen, expecially if your bucket shares the same top lip design as the LA402 buckets have.

/ Bucket hook locations #10  
Hello Bob.
Here's a picture of my bucket. I have an L3130, LA513 loader and a 66" bucket. It is classified as a HD bucket.

Just wondering, is this one, in your opinion, not a HD bucket?

I was interested in putting a center slip hook on it, but might change my mind if you think that it is not stout enough for that.

thanks.

dwight

Attachments

• 632854-bucket.jpg
    632854-bucket.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,097